learning about tube amps

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mindwave

learning about tube amps

Post by mindwave »

Hey guys!

Amps are my subject of interest. but WOW there is a bucket and a ha;f of information out there, and all of it either assumes a certain level or starts with 'this is a wire'.

Im looking for recommendations on books videos etc that might help unfold the ideas from the basic on up.

Recently read in a a mag about Kendrick-amplifiers.com correspondence course, and really that looks GREAT but at $600 I would like to know more about it.

Ive read the books by Merlin Blencowe on pre and power and honestly, even with the core of an engineering degree in me, it was to dry to absorb much. But I know it has helped a lot of folks

I did buy a tweed kit from mojo, just havent gotten to it yet (injuries have kept me in check this year)

I have been a regular reader on AX84 and they have awesome folks, but they seem beyond me by leaps and bounds

bought the 1st book by Tino Zottola and although i really like it and hos explanations and schems are very clearm he doesnt talk much about WHY, or WHAT certain things are used, plus he seems to have disappeared about 2005. along w/ anyone else who used his builds.

ANy ideas? Any one used Kendricks course, you guys know so much and im just learning, so all ideas are welcome!

Thanks

(oh yeah, and of course being on a budget doesnt ALWAYS make things easier!)
Jana

Re: learning about tube amps

Post by Jana »

I haven't seen the kendrick course but I say, save your money.

Study up on the safety procedures, then build your tweed kit. Expect to screw up and then figure out why. Building an amp is as much art as it is science. The science can be taught, the art has to be learned through experience.

Build the tweed, screw it up, come ask us questions.
What?
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

mindwave wrote:Recently read in a a mag about Kendrick-amplifiers.com correspondence course, and really that looks GREAT but at $600 I would like to know more about it.
Buy yourself $600 of fresh-out-of-the-horse fertilizer and you'll do better than throw your money at GW, the chief muckety-muck at Kendrick. Or - you can send it (the money please not fertilizer) to me and I won't steer you wrong. I just won't say anything at all and you'll still be better off. Around here we know enough to know GW is (unprintable censored xxxxxxxx) to be avoided. Except for comedy interludes.

Spend @ $30 on Tom Mitchell's "How to Service Your Own Tube Amp." If you want there's an accompanying DVD then it's more. Years ago a customer gave me a copy. I read it and now I don't have to write the book - Tom already did. He takes you from subatomic particles to Marshall amps in easy to understand steps, plus lots of maintenence tips and mods. There's a lot of "why" and "how" in there.

Also - available free if you look around - Ken Fischer's "Trainwreck Pages."

Gather the requisite tools, a good iron, find some proper old fashioned 60/40 tin/lead Kester solder, practice soldering, and start with your tweed as Jana says. Ask for help as you need it. We're good at that here.
down technical blind alleys . . .
mindwave

Post by mindwave »

leo thanks for the book recommendations ill sei
Invertiguy

Post by Invertiguy »

I'd also highly recommend checking out Merlin Blencowe's site at The Valve Wizard as well as reading his 2 books. He really goes in-depth into the design aspect of amps, and they truly make an invaluable resource. Other than that, just keep browsing sites like this one, DIY Audio, and AX84. Read the threads that sound interesting, try to understand what others are talking about, and don't be afraid to ask questions. All that info will soak in eventually.
Gibsonman63

Reading Material on Steroids

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Read this thread:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9023

Lots of great recommendations. Start with simple schematics like the tweed champ, read, use the search function here, ask questions, build something!
gearhead

Re: Reading Material on Steroids

Post by gearhead »

Gibsonman63 wrote:Read this thread:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9023

Lots of great recommendations. Start with simple schematics like the tweed champ, read, use the search function here, ask questions, build something!
Gosh, I remember that thread now. If you want to understand how tubes work, highly recommend NEETS module #6. You gotta forget about "current" flow and use electron flow (they are opposite directions).
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

While I will stipulate that Gerald Weber holds on tight to some odd notions, his books are work getting, particularly for reference material for Fenders.

The Valve Wizard site is great: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/

I would also check out the The Ultimate Tone books, though they can be pricey.

The one concept that, once I "got" it, opened everything up to me was that AC and DC ride on the same leads at the same time in some parts of the amp.

In an age of rapidly changing (and largely incomprehensible) technology, I find the ancient ways of the hollow state very comforting.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower