Best Signal Source For Wet/Dry/Wet Rig: Line Out or FX Loop?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Voyager

Best Signal Source For Wet/Dry/Wet Rig: Line Out or FX Loop?

Post by Voyager »

This question has literally plagued me now for months, and I've searched and researched it on countless forums or boards without obtaining clear direction, so hopefully, I'll be able to get some professional level guidance here from experienced w/d/w users on Amp Garage:

I've got a 50w head that has both a tube-driven FX Loop and a Line Out feature (or jack), and basically, I'd like to know which of those two signal pathways is likely to provide the best overall signal quality for rack-mounted stereo effects on a wet/dry/wet rig? I hope that explanation makes sense. To be more specific, if I run the amp's main output(s) to a central (dry) cab (i.e., without effects), and I then want to run the best available signal to rack-mounted stereo delay and reverb units (for the wet signal), should I run those effects through the amp's FX Loop and then from the output of those devices to a secondary power amp and cabs, or should I run the amp's line level signal from the Line Out jack to those stereo effects units? Which is best? Anyone have any firm suggestions or recommendations? Short of spending untold dollars (for potentially unnecessary cables) and hours of experimentation, I'm hoping to get some decent guidance beforehand.

Note: The amp builder states that the Line Out is "post power stage" and "transformer isolated", while the FX Loop (as I understand it), is located essentially between the pre-amp and power stages of the circuit.
Jana

Re: Best Signal Source For Wet/Dry/Wet Rig: Line Out or FX Loop?

Post by Jana »

Which method sounds the best for what you are trying to achieve?
What?
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Use the line out. It is a part of the signal tapped right off the speaker output. send it mono to your effects and then to a stereo power amp out to your stereo wet cabs. I have this setup and prefer it to using the loop.
Voyager

Post by Voyager »

Chris G wrote:Use the line out. It is a part of the signal tapped right off the speaker output. send it mono to your effects and then to a stereo power amp out to your stereo wet cabs. I have this setup and prefer it to using the loop.
Chris,

Thank you so much for your expressed opinion on this. At face value, it seems like such a simple question, and yet, as I'm sure you know, its really not. Depending on the tone (dry) amp and its own specific design, it can get exceedingly complicated. In fact, I'll throw yet another monkey wrench into the fray . . .

I've got an attenuator that also has a Line Out, but unlike the amp itself, it has a Line Level control to regulate the strength of that Line Out signal. And, since it too is tapping the signal on a post-power stage basis, the logical question then arises . . . which of those two sources would be best (i.e., Line Out with no level control on the amp vs. Line Out with level control on the attenuator)? I should also add that there are a number of postings out there by people who report excessive noise from Line Out jacks on both amps and attenuators.

Anyway, an inexperienced or untrained amateur (like me) can think and re-think these things through literally forever, but its important to get opinions from others who have actually experienced it. So thanks again for your post.
Voyager

Post by Voyager »

Jana wrote:Which method sounds the best for what you are trying to achieve?
Um, well, as previously indicated, I've not yet tried all conceivable methods, because I've not yet invested in the cables necessary for all conceivable methods, which of course, differ markedly depending on the approach that is ultimately taken (e.g., 4-25 foot Neutrix, XLR, TRS, etc., etc.).

So, I'm afraid I can't really answer your question anymore than you were able to answer mine! However, that being said, I'm after the approach that offers the best overall sound quality with the least amount of noise. I hope that helps.
Jana

Post by Jana »

The best solution will be the one that you discover last and requires the least amount of extra stuff. This seems to be a universal law. Also, as a part of this discovery process, you will wind up with a lot of extra stuff. I wish I could be of more help but I have gotten so frustrated with "stuff" that I just use one guitar cable and call it good.

On a more serious track
Guitar into amp > line out or mic the amp > mixer with effects > second power amp and speaker. That would give you a very "big" sound with a lot of control.

But I don't like carrying stuff so I just go guitar into small amp.
What?
Voyager

Post by Voyager »

Understood. Personally, I don't perform or travel anymore, so moving stuff doesn't much matter. Its all relegated to my small home studio, and once its setup and optimized, its pretty much hand-off from there. But yes, I totally understand where you're coming from - I wouldn't wanna move it all on a regular basis.

As for the use of a mixer, I've got a decent mixer here, and I've used it to good advantage in stereo at times too with a solid state power amp and PA speakers, including use with my stereo effects units, but then you're more or less stuck with mic-ing your cabs for the wet side, and that's yet another cost and pain in the keester. That's kinda why I'm hoping to hear about any and all other conceivable approaches to this.