ID these OT's?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boots

ID these OT's?

Post by boots »

Can anybody venture a guess what equipment these might have come from, or what mfr they are? They seem to be identical OT's, but the numbers are partially worn off on both. The numbers don't seem to match up with anything on the mfr code lists I've seen, but maybe I don't have the right lists for OT's.

I got these in a shady back alley deal a while back and they look like they might be right for a SE amp like a Champ or something.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
Dr-Joned

Re: ID these OT's?

Post by Dr-Joned »

Got any pics?
I Think I Think Too Much !
boots

Post by boots »

Crap. :oops: I knew I forgot something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Well they look pretty old alright. Why would anyone go to the trouble of removing the mounting holes frame on the one on the left?

Put 20V or so AC into the primary from a Variac then measure the voltage across the secondary. Then you can calculate what the Zaa might be, if you assume 4 ohm secondary for example.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

FWIW blue and red line up with what you expect to see from a single-ended output transformer (red B+, blue plate). The other side is probably green and black (or something and black). Definitely not a guarantee but sort of a tall tale sign if you will.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Tubetastic

Post by Tubetastic »

Have you tried putting the numbers written on them, into google's search engine. Along with the word: Transformer. Sometimes the answer comes up.
boots

Post by boots »

I wasn't able to get the complete number, even from both OT's combined. I thought they might look familiar to somebody with more experience. Yes, I was dismayed that the guy removed the mounting frame, but I think I can fabricate something that would work.

Ths simplest thing will be to just try them in a circuit and see how they sound. I will eventually get around to it. I get a kick out of using salvaged parts in my builds, so hopefully these guys will see another life.