HAM-ROCK build (clips)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donzoid

Re: HAM-ROCK build (clips)

Post by donzoid »

Blackburn, the kid is a future engineer. He ain't spose to spell gud or cook.
https://www.facebook.com/trialbyfirerocks

Be sure your tinfoil hat has a good low impedance ground.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

donzoid wrote:Blackburn, the kid is a future engineer. He ain't spose to spell gud or cook.
:oops: :oops: math,

all i know is 2-pi-something :lol: ...... struggling in an intermediate algebra class, only class in my way of two degrees, try again in the fall i guess.... had to drop something this semester with the new job, so it was math again that got the cut.... so frustrating! i just want to be DONE with school. maybe go back in a few years of full time work.....

but thanks for the kind words don!! i appreciate it, i am having fun rolling some tubes around

this medication i am on is making me super forgetful, in addition to the muscle relaxers i cant play guitar for shit!!! it would be funny if it wasnt so frustrating. i wanna rock and all i can play is garbage! :evil:
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

on my way to guitar center! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JK i would never enter that company
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

special picture for Bob S. :D

these 6P14P's sound great, all raytheon 12ax7s and it sounds freakin awesome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Great build - especially cos it's not the normal style.
Way off the reservation. Fun.
Those Russian tubes do sound good. Bet it sounds huge.
Nice one buddy !
Why Aye Man
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

thanks again bob!

got some clips recorded from my phone of this beast. the first blues part is guitar straight in, all tone controls at noon with the volume dimed and then rolled back a little. neck humbucker.

reggae clip is my attempt at a clean sound, i didnt intend ANY clean from this thing and the volume is alot lower. also kicked in a delay pedal i built toward the end. volume on amp at noon, single coil bridge pickup

NOTE: my playing is kinda sloppy, i am on muscle relaxers and other things that make me forgetful... so i apologize for my goof-ups in these clips, its mostly about the tone and all anyway but i thought i would explain some of my mistakes.

i am using a carvin bolt plus, single heppner alnico speaker and recorded with my cellphone. all raytheon 12AX7s and russian 6P14Ps

hope you enjoy!!!
neal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donzoid

Post by donzoid »

Nice! What did you end up using for your cathode resistor value--stayed with the 130, or did you change it to get your volts in line?
https://www.facebook.com/trialbyfirerocks

Be sure your tinfoil hat has a good low impedance ground.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

donzoid wrote:Nice! What did you end up using for your cathode resistor value--stayed with the 130, or did you change it to get your volts in line?
haven't done nuthin/changed a thing! still a 125 ohm, debating, and hearing different things, like "your fine" to "tube wrecker!" so IDK, if this thing starts eating power tubes than yeah, but no redplating or any other unhappiness so far...

still cant play guitar for shit though.... so i set up two homebrew delay petals and a modified fuzz factory clone. just left the guitar on the stand plugged into the fuzz factory, any sort of input is enough to send the fuzz factory into oscillation on certain settings, and adjusting the 5 knobs yields different frequencies. instant synthesizer, with two delays going, also into runaway oscillation i was getting some crazy sounds, my neighbors must hate me!!

but i sing them enough pretty acoustic songs to make up for my electronic noize.

FINALLY can go back to work today, this may seem strange to some of you out there, but i got to get back in there, keep that bitch. bossman said he had sit-down repair work, maybe feel like im worth something today... accomplish something other than 30 TAG posts today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Sorry if this was asked, but are those bottle caps on the pots? :D

If so, what is your intention for using them.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

Structo wrote:Sorry if this was asked, but are those bottle caps on the pots? :D

If so, what is your intention for using them.
nope, just regular Alpha pots with a 'dust seal'

really useful in F/X pedals, wont short the board if it touches, so not really necessary in this build, but they just come with the dust seal if you order through Tayda, and why take them off :D

id like some alpha brand soda waters please, send me your caps :lol: :lol:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Ah, pot condoms. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Structo wrote:Ah, pot condoms. :D
Yeah, it would really tug at the heart strings to open up the amp after a while and find a litter of baby pots in there. :P

It's a cool build and should have gotten more love by now. Come on people!

Nice work Neal! 8)
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

More watts doesn't mean better tone. If it is cathode biased, small changes are typically not profound.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

Phil_S wrote:More watts doesn't mean better tone. If it is cathode biased, small changes are typically not profound.
OH! it took me a while to figure out what you were referring to! one of my posts i mentioned labeling the zener switch the "tone or talent" switch.

i completely agree with your above statement and i was making a joke like having a switch hooked up to nothing and labeling it something weird. have people argue about tone

i am more concerned about making an amplifier that treats tubes nicely and reliably... chalk it up as another internet miss-communication :lol: :lol:

i was going to label the knobs all crazy talk but my buddy has a letter punch set so i might just do like "V T B C' stamped above each knob and then some more info on the back.

anyway thanks for the comment phil! :D
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

reggae me litis!!!!!