HAM-ROCK build (clips)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

eniam rognab

HAM-ROCK build (clips)

Post by eniam rognab »

so you are all familiar with my hammond into half power rocket build from the sticky right? now that i am in the powering up and possibly troubleshooting stage i dont want to clutter the sticky...

i got me a A0-43 chassis from passfan here on TAG almost a year ago and flip-flopped on what to build and all that sat on it for a little while. finally decided based on the output the amp was possible of a half power rocket built would work. got some chassis from blackburn here on TAG who ended up being a great friend and good guy in general. and went to work hacking up that beautiful aluminum he sent me

i played around with transformer placement before settling into what i thought was the best arrangement.

pics time !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eniam rognab on Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eniam rognab

Re: HAM-ROCK build (clips)

Post by eniam rognab »

played for days with tube locations, you have no idea honestly!

got em punched and mounted temporarily just to have a peek at the end result, or so i thought! this was when i was going to use a turret board...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

scuffed up the chassis for a worn up textured look
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

THEN i found those isolated turrets! so i got the hardware and mounted them up right quick, ayuh
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

then the fun came! flux fumes and solder hands and tool working and bending wire, working with schematic papers that had bootprints all over them. it was awesome!!! heres where im at now
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

gonna bring her up tomorrow on a lightbulb limited variac, so if i messed anything up i wont screw the whole thing up. its basically all about the iron so yeah, that would suck....

i will be reporting!!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Cool! I'm excited for power up! Does your heater winding have a CT? I can't tell.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

no CT on 5V XT-roger. did you mean the 6.3v? cuz yeah CT on there

Hahaha at school now finishing up zenerz!! :o
Last edited by eniam rognab on Wed May 21, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

awwww yeah! so i had to rush out the door today (late for a chiropractor appt) and i only grabbed the chassis and not the tubes. i was hoping to power it up at school today fully, but there were no '84s to be had. SO GLAD i used a current limited supply, had a short in the PS. got that figured out and read correct voltages all around. asked my professor "if this was your build would you be comfortable at this point to power it up straight from mains with tubes?" and he said go for it! so why am i sitting here typing!!!!

oh yeah, i just got home and my back is killing me.... Dreric here on the forum recommended a great chiro here in sac. so THANKS FOR THAT ERIC!!!! im sure i cant wait much longer, but i do have other more pressing matters at hand.

tonight? i will report
neal
xtian

Post by xtian »

Dude, you have got to cut back on the coffee. :wink:
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

xtian wrote:Dude, you have got to cut back on the coffee. :wink:
what am i posting too much?
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

cuz you can tell me if im posting too much
xtian

Post by xtian »

Look, this is your thread; you do what you like. I'm just saying, as nicely as I can, your probation officer and I are worried about you. That's all. Remember to breathe and all that.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

my probation officer has better drugs than yours clearly: nanners!

its alive! sounds great, i am in love. honeymoon begin!!

calculated 17W dissipation per tube, on the lowest zener setting, no redplating yet but i may increase the cathode resistor....
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

eniam rognab wrote:my probation officer has better drugs than yours clearly: nanners!

its alive! sounds great, i am in love. honeymoon begin!!

calculated 17W dissipation per tube, on the lowest zener setting, no redplating yet but i may increase the cathode resistor....
Hey, if it ain't broke... play it!