Monza master volume mod

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

summitcity

Monza master volume mod

Post by summitcity »

Has any one seen what the mod is? I thought it would just be a vox like mv but I'm starting to think that might not be it. Wouldn't that cancel his tone circuit?
ampfab

Re: Monza master volume mod

Post by ampfab »

do you have a schematic?
I'm not having any luck.
Congress Park Amps
summitcity

Post by summitcity »

We'll not with the mv mod. I know exactly how the non mv amp works. The tone knob is like a vox top cut with an .01 cap. So I'm thinking the normal ppimv would change the effect of the tone circuit. I can answer question about the amp as far as the circuit goes except I'm not certain about he mv mod.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Whatever post inverter MV you use it will not affect the cut control, so don't worry about that. Just try the simple cross line master first that's in the Matchless amps and AC30CC. Should work reasonably well. In fact, just try all the masters in Ken Fischer's "Trainwreck Pages" and see which one you like best.
summitcity

Post by summitcity »

Good stuff. Type 2 looks like a good way to go. Type one I've used it works okay but it defiantly limits the tone control.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I would try 3 first just because it is so obscenely simple. It works well in the AC30CC. Why do you think type 1 limits the tone control? I can't see why it would.
summitcity

Post by summitcity »

At lower volumes the tone control has little effect on the sound. But as you turn up the mv the tone circuit has greater effect. But the cross line does bring the volume down to a family watching tv in the other side of the house level. I will study type 3 as we'll. thanks
summitcity

Post by summitcity »

Ok I had type 3 and type 1 mixed up. I used type 3 not one. As I said it works well but if I choke the volume down lowthe tone control has all most no effect.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

ampfab wrote:do you have a schematic?
I'm not having any luck.
I don't have a schematic for that amp but there is one out for the Mazerati GT. Same amp minus 2 output tubes plus the third control (which is a variable load on the grid load resistor before the PI.

Cheers Stephan
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

My favorite PPIMV is the LarMar. To me it has 3 advantages over the cross line master as used by Matchless, Bad Cat et al

- it works better at lower volumes
- makes the entire amp sound better
- does not affect the cut control (or in the Monza the tone control which is really a cut control with a larger cap) as much.

Cheers Stephan