Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

John_P_WI

Re: Anyone built Merlin's preamps?

Post by John_P_WI »

Ok that explains it... thanks.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

John_P_WI wrote:Just out of curiosity where are the examples of his preamps? I don't recall seeing them in his books...
John, they are in the second edition preamp book. There is a low gain, bluesy type design, a medium gain plexiish, a high gain, and a very high gain design. All of them have the usual Merlinisms in them, according of his design principles.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Thanks, Colossal, I'll have to dig it out, we all bought the 2nd edition at the same time... I had the 1st handy last night and flipped through it - guess I'll have to look at the 2nd now.

Can't believe how busy life has gotten with two teenage daughters - I thought when I turned 50 things would slow down, one of these days I'll get back into ripping things up and rawking out :lol:
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I put in the ol 56K/250p Marshall stack, and didn't really have a eureka moment. Maybe a little more control over the highs? It's still growling at me :twisted:
RWood

Post by RWood »

John_P_WI wrote:Can't believe how busy life has gotten with two teenage daughters - I thought when I turned 50 things would slow down
Everything past 50 gets exponentially busier and faster.
4 months after you turn 51, you'll be 53, then 2 months later you'll be 57... all the while wondering where your time, money, and dreams have disappeared to... and why your children have been suddenly replaced by grand children who have become teenagers without you noticing.
I have an amp I've been meaning to build this year.......oh wait, that was 8 years ago.

Anyone got a schematic on Merlin's high gain preamp?
surfsup

Post by surfsup »

RWood wrote:
John_P_WI wrote:Can't believe how busy life has gotten with two teenage daughters - I thought when I turned 50 things would slow down
Everything past 50 gets exponentially busier and faster.
4 months after you turn 51, you'll be 53, then 2 months later you'll be 57... all the while wondering where your time, money, and dreams have disappeared to... and why your children have been suddenly replaced by grand children who have become teenagers without you noticing.
I have an amp I've been meaning to build this year.......oh wait, that was 8 years ago.
LOL tell me about it! My amp stuff has been in boxes for three years now. But, I finally started building my home and there is a 20x22 room above the garage that is solely reserved for remembering how to play the guitar again! Sorry I have nothing to offer regarding Merlin's preamps aside from it being fairly easy to add some highs (or remove some lows) with the usual changes.