Anyone built Merlin's preamps?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

Anyone built Merlin's preamps?

Post by Smokebreak »

Just curious about the preamps in his book, mainly the last 2 high gain ones. I'm putting the medium gain one in a 6V6 mule today.
pullshocks

Re: Anyone built Merlin's preamps?

Post by pullshocks »

I have been looking at the medium gain. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Well, I put it in a test bed, Hammond ao43, that started life as an Express. I've had good luck using it for other Fender style circuits, but my chassis layout(which is a mess at this point) wasn't conducive to an oscillation-free amp with this one.
I took out the tone stack and got it going, but of course it had gobs of gain, more than I expected, even without the TS. I was using express NFB, so I'll try something more Fendery. I'll rework it today.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Doh! I forgot the cap at the PI entrance, which explained why it worked w/o the tone stack. I guess my mule lives to ride another day :D
The amp sounds really good so far. I've only tested at bedroom volumes, but the overdrive is very smooth and balanced, and good clean accessibility. A bit less gain than a Dumble, a bit more than cranked Fender, and a bit different than a Marshall. Very very promising. Dare I say the best sounds this chassis has put out?
I'm not even sure what all pot values are in there right now, but I'm running 5k presence with 100k/8ohm feedback, and that seems to be working well.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Smokebreak wrote:I took out the tone stack and got it going, but of course it had gobs of gain, more than I expected, even without the TS. I was using express NFB, so I'll try something more Fendery. I'll rework it today.
Does it have substantially LESS gain after you add the tone stack back in?

I don't know what TS you are using in this build, but most are pretty lossy.
shane

Post by shane »

Which one of the pre-amps is it? the medium, high gain or the last very high gain one?
I've been curious about these myself.
Cheers
Shane
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Zippy, yep it had less gain with the TS in. I originally removed it temporarily to trouble shoot. It's a modified Bandmaster 6G7 stack, plate fed,that comes after 3 gain stages. Gain control after first stage, MV from treble, then PI. I've got a PPIMV, so my normal master is 1M to ground.

Shane, it's the medium gain one.

Maybe if Merlin reads this he can suggest his favorite PI/power arrangement for this preamp
:D
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I tried a bunch of different LTP configurations and ended up with 510r cathode, 10K tail, 27K feedback resistor, and 5K/.1 presence pot. So basically, 5F6A, but on the 8ohm tap.

This amp is very aggressive! Here's a quick and dirty clip with ppimv dimed, gain control/guitar volume in different spots, tone controls at noon. At the end when everything is freaking out into wonderful feedback, gain was at 3oclock. I hadn't pushed it that much, and I kinda freaked out and just stopped. I didn't see that coming. Super fun amp. A little on the bright side for me, up close, but everything usually is these days to these ears.
https://soundcloud.com/jeremyslemenda/mediumgainpreamp
cbass

Post by cbass »

That sounds pretty damn good
NickC

Post by NickC »

Yeah, it does sound like that amp is loads of fun to play through. Nice! 8)
V2

Post by V2 »

cool! Sounds raw, in a good way.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Thanks guys. This morning it sounded so smooth at bedroom levels with full gain,but at volume it's a growler . I'm going to try some different tone stacks next.
shane

Post by shane »

Yeah sounds pretty good!
Look forward to hearing how you get on with differemt tone stacks.

Cheers
Shane
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Just out of curiosity where are the examples of his preamps? I don't recall seeing them in his books...
shane

Post by shane »

They are in the second edition of his preamps book
Cheers
Shane