cloth push-back wire

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pula58

cloth push-back wire

Post by pula58 »

Looking for old Fender-style cloth covered solid-core 18 AWG wire.
Hoffman has some green, but I need to find some yellow, or black.

Any leads on where I can find some? There is some PVC insulated wire with cloth cover I stumbled onto in a Google search, that's not what I'm looking for, I want the cloth-only stuff.

Thanks!
xtian

Re: cloth push-back wire

Post by xtian »

I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
RB

Post by RB »

I am assuming that you want the other color for use with the green in a twisted pair for heaters. I ran into this issue with the 18g wire and never found any so I solved my problem by cutting two equal lengths of the green that I would twist for heater use. Before twisting the wires I would take a large black felt marker and draw a continuous line down the length of one the cloth cover wires. This gave be a green wire and a green/black stripe wire that I could keep track of the relationship I wanted to maintain on the tube sockets.

Regards
Randy
pula58

Post by pula58 »

RB wrote:I am assuming that you want the other color for use with the green in a twisted pair for heaters. I ran into this issue with the 18g wire and never found any so I solved my problem by cutting two equal lengths of the green that I would twist for heater use. Before twisting the wires I would take a large black felt marker and draw a continuous line down the length of one the cloth cover wires. This gave be a green wire and a green/black stripe wire that I could keep track of the relationship I wanted to maintain on the tube sockets.

Regards
Randy
Randy, +1 great idea. That's exactly the issue. I'll go with the black line, love it! Thanks!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I do the same thing, the black marker is cheaper then finding wire. :)
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

+1 on the permanent marker. But make sure you use Staedtler markers. Sharpies sound fizzy.