lowering the plate volts ?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jamme61

lowering the plate volts ?

Post by jamme61 »

I have an old marshall JMP (1980) it has the different transformer which runs around 450 plate volts. I like to know if there's an easy safe way to lower the plate volts to around 390? like my older jmp (1977)sounded and felt better
dobbhill

Re: lowering the plate volts ?

Post by dobbhill »

I would switch the power transformer for one with a desired secondary voltage. I would think that a used one could be found to save money, but I could be wrong. There are plenty of choices/options for new replacement. Brian Wallace has comprehensive data page here:
http://www.marstran.com/Historic%20Data%20Base.htm

D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

A 50 watt Zener like a NTE 5281k placed in the PT center tap will drop out around 60 volts from the B+ like you are looking to do.
You will need a clear space 3/4" on the top and bottom of the chassis to drill the hole to stud mount this diode and the mounting location needs to be as far away from the first gain stage as you can make it!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pops

Post by pops »

The zener works well, but i prefer a large choke before the first filter cap over the zener, but the best way was posted by dobbhill, a new power transformer.
The world is a better place just for your smile.
jamme61

Post by jamme61 »

would I be able to switch the voltage (450 -390) if I used the zener? The chassis would be the heat-sink for the zener? This dosent effect the heater voltage right? thanks
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Would a variable voltage regulator (vvr) work in this kind of situations?
Simplify before you amplify
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi,
I´m in a similar situation where I have (want) to reduce from 345VDC to ~310VDC for a Liverpool 2 holer with 2x EL84 and FW rectifier. So 30-40 V. I want use the IFR820 Mosfet with the Geofex B+ reducer. But I don't have by hand 1 40V Zener, but 4 x 10V (which will pull ~7V each). Can I put them in series to reach the focused 35-40V?

I think yes, but better to ask.

Hans-Jörg

PS: Somebody from European side knows a supplier where I could get such Zener for chassis mount (NTE 5281k)? I tried in German speaking area with no success.
rp

Post by rp »

It's these, the large metal case bolt on, in the pict. I've used these in the (far away) past, and were easy to get from Mouser or Newark. I think they are long out of production, not available anywhere, and little info on the web other than old NTE pdf spec sheets.

If someone knows were to source big chassis mount reverse zeners please post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

rp wrote:
If someone knows were to source big chassis mount reverse zeners please post.
Yea!
Please post if available in Europe (private business over the pond is not so easy as it looks :?

I tried the Mouser number too, but no respond

Hans-Jörg
Masco

Post by Masco »

I'd use Aiken's low watt zener and FET soloution here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamme61

Post by jamme61 »

I talked to Skip at skipz circuits and he recommended this kit
http://www.skipzcircuits.com/Accessories.html only $19 I have used Skip's stuff before great guy great stuff IMHO thanks for all the info and help.
rp

Post by rp »

jamme61 wrote:I talked to Skip at skipz circuits and he recommended this kit http://www.skipzcircuits.com/Accessories.html only $19 I have used Skip's stuff before great guy great stuff IMHO thanks for all the info and help.
Interesting site to know about.

as for this, regarding his and the aiken circuit, This kit provides an easier method than the traditional high wattage zener diode. What could be easier than drilling a hole and bolting one part into place? Those 50W iron-clad zeners seemed chunky and reliable, the ones I used were 20+ years ago in a few SF Fenders that ran too hot when the then ex-commie tubes were total crap, and there weren't dozens of places to get drop in replacement PTs. So not sure if they are still running ok but I'm not all sure of the mosfet which you still need to bolt with some grease, and instead of one big part you have a few to fail. For all the trouble I'd just install a VVR, you're 3/4 of the ways there anyway and for all the effort you get a supposedly great attenuator. Not that this helps if you have an amp that you must absolutely limit the voltage on.

Anyway, I'd like to know what happened to the chassis mount reverse zeners? Guess only amp geeks in the late '80s with over juiced amps bought them and that wasn't enough of a market for big Asian E-conglomerates.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi,
I done this B+ reduction same way like Geofex it shows.
I had at home 1 IFR820, 1x200Ohm, 1x 2k1 (2Watt) and 5x 10V/5W Zener resistors.
Could drop 35V (7V per zener) and the Mosfet doesn´t get even hand worm.
Grate!
One question only: with a VVR it is recommended to place a rubber or silicat layer between the Mosfet and chassis. In the Geofex schem (a fixed B+ reduction, not VVR) I don't see a necessity for that. Am I right? Though I put one thin rubber layer for save and because I wanted to use the same grounding point like my first cap via a wire from pin 2 (Mosfet).

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/m ... tfolly.htm

Hans-Jörg
stuben

Post by stuben »

Did a quick google search for nte5278AK and lo and behold the parts are readily available from several vendors. I've used them in a few amps several years ago with great results.

I tried using a switch so i could switch between the higher and lower voltages and that works fine, but be careful! It is easy to red plate your tubes when switching between the lower and higher voltages. Bias your tubes very cold before switching to the higher voltage!

Go to www.ntepartsdirect.com and enter nte5278AK in the search window. The last two numbers indicate the voltage drop the part produces. An nte5268AK will drop your B+ by 30 volts, so they are available in a wide variety.

Also be sure to mount the device as close as possible to where you PT center tap was grounded.

I built an express type amp with Fender iron as an experiment nearly 15 years ago and still have it. The transformer was 340-0-340 @200ma. The reverse polarity zener brought the B+ down from 460 to 410 which made a huge difference.

I don't see why anyone would not like this simple mod. What could be easier than drilling one hole and bolting down this small device and then soldering one wire to it? I see no downside.