Opinions on this enclosure/chassis

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Xander8280

Opinions on this enclosure/chassis

Post by Xander8280 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251592126485?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

With some rubber feet, a badge on the front, and some handles(add an opinion how if you would!) this could be cool.

Plenty of room for a stereo guitar amp. But is this road worthy? I take care of my amps but, with heavy transformers loaded on this.....will it fall apart?

I plan to reinforce with more screws. It is 2.3mm thick steel. Made sure to ask, aluminum would be a deal breaker for me.

I plan to build a stereo amp. 6 or 7 preamp tubes, 8 pentodes, a pair of chokes, and pairs of PT & OT.

Thanks!

-Xander
bal704

Re: Opinions on this enclosure/chassis

Post by bal704 »

Nice enclosure, but the $95 shipping charge would be a deal-breaker for me.
Xander8280

Post by Xander8280 »

bal704 wrote:Nice enclosure, but the $95 shipping charge would be a deal-breaker for me.
From China, expected delivery about 15-25 business days, February if ordered today.

That part is sucky
Jana

Post by Jana »

The steel is thick enough--.090
Keep in mind that this chassis is only 1 1/2 inches deeper than the Marshall 50 watt chassis. You are planning to build two amps on that chassis? Not saying it can't be done, but it is going to be tight and there won't be any room for error.

185 dollars for that chassis--I would go to a local shop and have it made. There are plenty of places around looking for work--keep it local. Contact RJ, he might be able to get it done for you.
What?
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

1: If I'm not mistook, Hammond offer a similar box/screen. You can get from Antique & some other spots in USA. Probably cheaper, faster.

B. That's an awful lot of stuff to be cramming on a chassis that size, unless maybe you're using EL84 or some other small output tube. Think of the size of an even bigger chassis, typical 100W Marshall, plenty of space. Now stick another quad of output tubes on, a couple more pre's, another OT gettin' pretty crowded now. Heavy too. What was that old joke, PLAN AHEAd.
down technical blind alleys . . .
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

I build most of my amps "cage" style for flexibility in mating with various speaker arrays to match the venue characteristics.

Angela Instruments has been the best provider of these for my purposes.

Here is one (chassis only that will also need bottom plate and cage) with just a little bit more elbow room than the one that you cited.

http://www.angela.com/hammondsteel17x14 ... 38bk3.aspx

Not sure where you are located on the globe but my guess is that even with the plate and cage this will be a more economical approach.

As others have said, a significant amount of pre-planning will be required to get two tube amps into one of these.

But..as even more people have said...nothing ventured...nothing gained. It sounds like a very cool project and I hope it works out great for you!

Good luck,
Dave O.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yup and you can also get 17x8x3" with cage top from Hammond distributors plus the bottom plate. But if your building two amps in one you may need more room but if wiring PTP then keep the chassis on a smaller size so there are not long lead runs.

I use a lot of the 12x8x2 cage amp chassis/plate/cage for builds.
darefugee

Post by darefugee »

Way, WAY too expensive.
Thanks,

Roger
Jana

Post by Jana »

Some thoughts--I'm not saying this is what you should do but it is something to consider.

If you are determined to build a stereo amp, I would build just the power amp section. This would give it more versatility. I would also use just one power transformer (larger, of course, to supply two amps). This would free up some real estate on the chassis.

Then build a separate stereo preamp.

The other option, if you are determined to have to totally separate amps, is to build two separate amps. The project you have in mind, with the chassis you have in mind, is going to be VERY heavy. Anything that heavy, even if well constructed, by its very nature takes more physical abuse.

Here is something to think about:
http://store.triodestore.com/st70buildkit.html
Build it as is or tweak it to be less hifi and more guitar orientated.
What?
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)