Another new Tube, this time from Korg?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

randalp3000

Re: Another new Tube, this time from Korg?

Post by randalp3000 »

ran across this again while looking on the Korg site. Got a hold of the data sheet if anyone is interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Mu=12. So it can replace a 12AU7. Not exactly earth shattering.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
nworbetan

Post by nworbetan »

This morning I saw a link to an article about a Tube Screamer with a Nutube on Facebook, of all places, and I'm a not even a little surprised you guys were already talking about them a couple years ago. The biggest thing that caught my eye was the filaments run at .7v, 17mA each, and 0.0238 watts of heat total is practically nothing. So it's efficient enough to use in pedals and the battery life would still be measured in hours.

The anode characteristic curves in the datasheet looked pretty boring though, to be honest, they're practically linear at that scale, but...

http://nutube.us/downloads/Nutube_Datas ... otes_E.pdf
Nutube_Datasheet_32_&_Notes_E.pdf
There's another datasheet that zooms in on the lower voltage range and those curves look a lot sexier, and I can actually imagine that a pedal built with Nutubes would probably sound a lot better than the same circuit using silicon transistors.

Yeah, the price and future (non)availability are definitely drawbacks, but we're not exactly major manufacturers around here. Shouldn't be too hard to buy a "lifetime supply" for your own personal use in a DIY pedalboard made with all tube circuits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

nworbetan

Post by nworbetan »

I like how that board has the nutube plugged into a socket in the pics and video at least. Even if it is designed to last 10 years there's bound to be some duds, especially after being stomped on a few hundred times. There's a couple other prefabricated boards on http://nutube.us/ for people that want to plug and play in a hurry, but those boards both need the nutube to be soldered into a carrier board first.