Radio Shack Apocalypse Sale - 80-90% off

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DonMoose

Radio Shack Apocalypse Sale - 80-90% off

Post by DonMoose »

Just snagged a 120:12/6V@450mA transformer for $1.29 and a 12.6/6.3@3A one for $1.76

Y'all might want to drop in and pick over the leavings for other useful items.
gui_tarzan

Re: Radio Shack Apocalypse Sale - 80-90% off

Post by gui_tarzan »

You did better than I did on that 12.6/6.3v, I got one yesterday at our local RS for $7 and change but I scored a whole bunch of stuff out of the parts drawers for 50% off. Ours is supposed to be open until the end of March but I doubt there will be anything left by then, it's pretty picked over now.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
rp

Post by rp »

Radio Shack Apocalypse

About time. Damn that was a sloooow death.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

The sad thing about all this is that are a number of Radio Shack franchise stores "not affected" by the corporate restructuring. They will not likely be holding firesales, but will obviously not be competitive with the corporate stores that must. So, at best, they have to go two or three months with near-zero revenue. And at worst (although Radio Shack will continue to supply them), will have paid their own money for a hopelessly damaged brand.

Radio Shack, itself, will re-emerge as a web-based brand (a la CompUSA). But these poor franchisees will have to rebrand themselves and search for a niche.
RWood

Post by RWood »

Ours had a dollar bin where I scored a couple of 12v trannies. Also quite a few assorted caps, resistors, transistors etc. for over 90%off. One of the stores in our town was only a carrier of R/S parts and will not close.
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

This thread spurred me to visit two RS stores -- I live about half way between them. One had limited bare spots on shelves, the other looked totally business as usual. No big sales or anything. It sounds wrong to say I was disappointed. Let's say it was a let down not to find a bargain bin after reading here.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

They closed on near me and kept the RS store at the mall going.
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

I went by two of them on the far Southside of Chicago today. One was shut down already, damn , missed it! The other one isn't going away. Struck out! Will try again Thursday.
RWood

Post by RWood »

I had a talk with the owner of the store (that is not owned by them) about the Corporate management philosophy of R/S moving away from it's base of DIYers in the past to being a battery and cell phone store. He says he'll probably try to break off his relationship with them and try to team up with another large supplier since 75% of his customers were usually after component parts anyway. The other 25% of his business is high end home and car audio.

I don't think he'll be successful but if he is I'm willing to pay a little more to support the convenience of a local business since I'd have to pay shipping in most cases anyway. Also having more things that I need quickly available nearby would by a lifesaver on repair work...which what Radio Shack was in the past!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !