Edcor service

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mauiboy81

Edcor service

Post by mauiboy81 »

Hey all, not sure if this is the place for this but what has your experience been with Edcor? I have heard they have good service but when I inquired about their product I received a response that read to me like "we don't want your business." What's up with that?
Phil_S

Re: Edcor service

Post by Phil_S »

Well, imagine you run a factory and someone asks for a one-off or small production run. It isn't so easy to accommodate and make a profit. Try making a phone call and ask politely what's needed to make it work. They advertise they will do a custom wind. I've contacted them before and found the reply was very matter of fact. It did not move forward as they were not willing to offer what I asked for. I was not offended. I asked if they'd wind a bobbin for me and they declined without doing the whole thing.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I think Phil hit the nail on the head. I can confirm it as I've spoken with them in the past and they are very quick with their answers and don't do well with meandering. It's understandable, really. Some companies will cater to you and give you much of their time. Best not to take offense to it.

Or did you ask for red end bells? :P
rp

Post by rp »

I don't believe they do one offs if you're just some Joe who calls them up. I think I contacted them about getting 4/8/16 taps on a small trannie where stock is just one sec. tap and was told no. I've just ordered off the site, you get a form invoice, then you wait, it really is 4-6 weeks so keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed. Watch out over the xmas season, add an other 2 weeks as they shut down and I guess back up.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

From what I understand Edcor is a tiny family-run and family staffed company. They don't have a warehouse full of transformers ready to ship; they only build when orders come in. And I suspect in recent years they are busy with lots of hobbyists buying onesies and twosies. OTOH their quality for price is attractive. Search Audio Asylum for hi-fi builds involving Edcor iron, I'm sure you'll be impressed.
down technical blind alleys . . .
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

They are busy and probably get so many "can you build this" questions per day that it is over whelming.

I get what I ask for in a custom order if I can't find a product number that will work for me. Many of the old product numbers don't seem to be on their website like it used to be.

Good service and back up their product too. I do wish they would beef up their mounting tabs.

Mark
David Root

Post by David Root »

I've had custom winds from Edcor but I didn't deal directly with them.

I dealt with Bob Houlton of rjguitars.net as he is an Edcor distributor and is geographically close by them in New Mexico.

I found it can take a while to get them (Edcor) to fully understand what you want but will generally do custom work once they understand what you are trying to accomplish.

They only have so many frame sizes and if they can't use one of those to get to what you want then you're SOL. To me that's fair enough, try getting Hammond to do that, no chance!
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Try Heyboer, they are very open to one offs and special requests.
Ron
Richie

Post by Richie »

I went to there site back before christmas, picked out a transformer that met the specs for an amp I was building. Ordered it. Then a few weeks went by, and I called them. I asked when it might be shipped, and they told me end of January, they were all off, then when they come back they would be busy catching up. And they just don't have transformers made up ready to go. Good thing I was in no hurry.

They did deliver. But to put it in nice words, the lady on the phone was not too nice to talk to. Its a very good way to lose a customer.
xk49w

Post by xk49w »

I have bought four with no issues. I would pay more if they were physically more rugged and would prefer them to be so.
bal704

Post by bal704 »

I've asked them a couple of times for prices on custom transformers. Something very close to one of their existing models. I got the 'we don't want to do it' price, and looked elsewhere.

I did order one of their stock items, and it took the 4-6 weeks they estimate for lead time.
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

I've used Edcor many times and had custom winds done---- the last several times I just ordered iron that is offered on their website.
Here's a new vid done by one of my amp customers----- The guitar amp is an Orange OR80 based build I did several years ago that has an Edcor 100 watt, 4.2k, 4/8/16 ohm OT.
The people doing the YT vid channel (Strange Transmission) are featuring local musical acts----- they are also amp customers of mine but I wasn't aware that they knew the band in the vid (they didn't, as I found out, before this vid shoot).
Chris from Dead Oak has been playing the OR80-ish clone for several years now and it still seems to be working fine----- even though it must be very overdue for a re-tube by now.
I didn't have anything to do with the vid other than building the guitar amp that is used in it:

http://youtu.be/xzb04NnZ46o

Pic of amp in vid while it was being built----- big Edcor OT: https://www.edcorusa.com/cxpp100-ms-4_2k

[IMG:800:600]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/gldtp99/OR80%20Clone/OR80Clone002-1.jpg[/img]
rp

Post by rp »

gldtp99 wrote:Chris from Dead Oak has been playing the OR80-ish clone for several years now and it still seems to be working fine[/URL]
You know you're heavy into ZZ Top when you actually grow the beard!
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

rp wrote:
gldtp99 wrote:Chris from Dead Oak has been playing the OR80-ish clone for several years now and it still seems to be working fine[/URL]
You know you're heavy into ZZ Top when you actually grow the beard!
I can't argue with that---- :lol: .................. gldtp99
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

A bunch of guitar amp builders have been using Edcor's in production amps plus all the stereo guys out there I'm sure this little Edcor company is overwhelmed by orders.

They were once just a small company and Phyllis on phone and the engineer aren't young people mass production takes it's toll on small companies.

If your not in a hurry give them a try. To be honest I don't get custom Heyboer transformers any faster and have had no mistakes or build problems with Edcor but I sure have with Heyboer.

I mostly use what http://triodestore.com/ and www.rjguitars.net offers.

Mark