Amp Chassis Cradle

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dcribbs1412

Re: Amp Chassis Cradle

Post by dcribbs1412 »

dragonbat13 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:30 pm Has anybody tried the mojotone one that stewmac is selling. Yeah, it's stupid expensive but what isn't these days? Besides, I'm a carpenter by trade and really dont feel like building one.
Built one like Sluckeys, used it for a while not bad, but not easily adjustable.
Ended up buying the mojotone. I recommend it, been using for a few years its rock solid and quickly adjustable
for diff size chassis.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

I have the Weber one. It's stable, adjustable, and the bottom part doubles as a nice place to keep wire, solder, and small parts or tools while you work. Hard to go wrong with any of these.

-Dan
Jiyahana

Post by Jiyahana »

stetterhawk wrote: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:16 pm does anyone have drawings with dimension on them for building a wooden amp cradle?
For your concern you can get some information from chassis dimension doc..
CrocMule

Post by CrocMule »

Hi everybody. This is my first post on the Amp Garage.

Here are plans, pics and a video link for the chassis cradle I built. It's my 3rd prototype, and it came out great. Very stable, with a wide range of adjustment. The design isn't perfect, but it works well enough for me to call it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktEopAyz3Bs

The 2 arms that hold the chassis are custom designed for Fender BF/SF chassis, but they still work for some other chassis too, just with a narrower range of adjustability (forward and back). Different arms can be designed to hold others. The chassis of my mid-'60s Gibson Hawk, for example, doesn't balance well with the Fender arms, so I'll want to make new ones before I do any serious work on that amp. But it's just a matter of cutting out 1/2" ply on the bandsaw. Eventually, I'd like to have an assortment of arms for different chassis. IIRC it can adjust out to a little over 24" for wide chassis.

It's not the most straightforward design, with the offset toward the front, but that keeps the chassis weight centered over the base for stability.

Cheers!
Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrocMule

Post by CrocMule »

Behold! A Stick! Very helpful to rest a hand on when taking voltages.
Chassis Cradle Stick small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

CrocMule wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 pm Behold! A Stick! Very helpful to rest a hand on when taking voltages.

Chassis Cradle Stick small.jpeg
What a simple, but GREAT, idea!!

Bet it would be helpful for soldering as well.
Glenn