There's a new Randall Smith in town

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Re: There's a new Randall Smith in town

Post by RockinRocket »

John_P_WI wrote:"Jimmy
Im not sure who your referring to as " Jimmy"? And yes I have seen this episode many times. I assure you no one in this thread is referring to themselves in the 3rd person
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Nobody sues anybody for patent infringement unless there is substantial money involved. In those cases, it is almost always cheaper for the "infringer" to pay a royalty. It's the dirty secret of trial law: being right costs more than pretending you're wrong.
d95err

Post by d95err »

I think this says a lot about the state of patents these days...

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~gfx/Courses ... Patent.pdf

:D
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Firestorm wrote:Nobody sues anybody for patent infringement unless there is substantial money involved. In those cases, it is almost always cheaper for the "infringer" to pay a royalty. It's the dirty secret of trial law: being right costs more than pretending you're wrong.
Here, this one is famous and there was a huge sum riding on it. I think it supports this line of thinking to the max.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns
This man invented the intermittent windshield wiper.

I think it is clear, we don't have such a thing in play for the topic of this thread, which is looking, IMO, more trollish ever day. One might want to question the real identity of the one who seems so defensive about the matter.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

John_P_WI wrote:Please enlighten us to the "marketing" of an amp with a scratchy dual gangbanger MV. Anyone with your worldly knowledge would certainly know that dc on a pot in this position is prone to scratch and rumble.
At the risk of mentioning another manuf'r, just label the control "scratch OK" like Zvex does on the bias control of their Super Hardon pedal. It's funky, deep pocketed booteek shoppers will luv it. :roll: ;)
down technical blind alleys . . .
Structo

Post by Structo »

Firestorm wrote:I met a guy once, an Edison protégé (he was the kid you see in some early Edison lab photos) who made his name with some scary things he did for DOD and DARPA, but along the way, he got a patent for something involving electron scanning devices and it was written so broadly it could be construed to cover every CRT ever produced. I don't know if got royalties from that. He was in his 80s when I met him and he still had an office in the Pentagon. Worked on the Manhattan project, too.
Do you know his name?

Yep, it was an amazing time with Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, Bell, Armstrong, etc. all trying to out do each other.

Kind of like the Rat Pack of inventors.

Would have been a wondrous time to see all those high tech things as they happened.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
groovtubin

master

Post by groovtubin »

Ken Moon wrote:I built several variations of this amp, and I still have one with this MV, which is very similar to the Carlsboro and Mojave MVs:

[img:1024:698]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t346 ... atic_1.png[/img]

I have mixed feelings about how it sounds - sometimes I like it, but usually I leave it all the way up.

It never crossed my mind to patent it, though!

I have used a Mesa-patented circuit that I like a lot, which is a Cut control that goes between a Marshall-style post-tone stack MV and the PI (series line-up of a 22k resistor, .003uF cap, and 25K pot, connected from the input of the PI to ground).

Since I first saw the Mesa patent, I've seen several commercial amps with this exact circuit. Who knows if Mesa really "invented" it?
I seen that in a drawing approx 16 years ago..you take a pot and short one of the one megs, HOW can you PATENT wen you ARE NOT the guy who originally drew it or thought it up?? Trademark Infringement has come up w/me, amazing MANY amp co`s use a certain well known COMMON as allget out name and no one gets teed, or files law suits, let a guy take stolen technology to build his amp company.., then he comes after me for using just ONE common name.. Ridiculous...
Structo

Post by Structo »

Ken Moon wrote:I built several variations of this amp, and I still have one with this MV, which is very similar to the Carlsboro and Mojave MVs:

I have mixed feelings about how it sounds - sometimes I like it, but usually I leave it all the way up.

I have used a Mesa-patented circuit that I like a lot, which is a Cut control that goes between a Marshall-style post-tone stack MV and the PI (series line-up of a 22k resistor, .003uF cap, and 25K pot, connected from the input of the PI to ground).

Since I first saw the Mesa patent, I've seen several commercial amps with this exact circuit. Who knows if Mesa really "invented" it?
Interesting preamp on that.

What does adding the 1uF film cap to the 10uF cathode bypass cap on V1 bring?

Does it change the tone?
Last edited by Structo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Colossal and I decided to implement the Carlsboro type watt's control inserted in the PI about 4 years ago or longer, with success and I still use it one of my favorite amps based off the Normster Reverb Rocket.

It works very well with no scratchiness but it is a limiter not a MV and could be used in conjunction with a MV. I don't have a MV on my amp as it is not needed.

See blue circles on the gut shot photo for limiter control.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Structo wrote:
Firestorm wrote:I met a guy once, an Edison protégé (he was the kid you see in some early Edison lab photos) who made his name with some scary things he did for DOD and DARPA, but along the way, he got a patent for something involving electron scanning devices and it was written so broadly it could be construed to cover every CRT ever produced. I don't know if got royalties from that. He was in his 80s when I met him and he still had an office in the Pentagon. Worked on the Manhattan project, too.
Do you know his name?

Yep, it was an amazing time with Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, Bell, Armstrong, etc. all trying to out do each other.

Would have been a wondrous time to see all those high tech things as they happened.
Dr. David Trumpeter. Dead now, I'm sure. He claimed to have done something wonderful/sinister during the six-day war involving ultrasonic frequencies. Made the enemy abandon their tanks and flee. Still classified I'd guess.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I have seen modern versions of those sonic blasters.

The Army uses some special kind of transducer that broadcasts the high power signal.

They can aim it at certain troublemakers.

Very debilitating.
Tom

Aurora

Post by Aurora »

If this is real, it falls into the same category as several completely unbelievable cases before this. It seems to me that tha stupidity of US patent legislation is such that you can in principle patent any more or less common idea that has not beeen patented before.. ??
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

Structo wrote:

Interesting preamp on that.

What does adding the 1uF film cap to the 10uF cathode bypass cap on V1 bring?

Does it change the tone?
It makes total cathode decoupling cap = 11uF (for those who believe numbers printed on caps are absolute) and we all know the importance of number 11 in guitar amplifiers.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Firestorm wrote:
Structo wrote:

Dr. David Trumpeter. Dead now, I'm sure. He claimed to have done something wonderful/sinister during the six-day war involving ultrasonic frequencies. Made the enemy abandon their tanks and flee. Still classified I'd guess.
"Rat Pack of inventors" what a great concept! :cool:

Would be even more fascinating to see what didn't make it to prime time, or might yet.

Was it possibly an infrasonic weapon that pried the enemy out of their tanks? France has had their rarely used crowd-busters for quite a while now, infrasonic generator size of a tank truck. Compressed air and a "chopper" to generate @ 6 Hz at hi levels. Causes disorientation and loss of bowel control, what fun. I wonder how the operators deal with it. Mostly don't stand at either end? Wear "depends" in case of friendly fire? :razz:

US (and I'm sure others) developing microwave weapons, supposed to make the target feel like his skin's on fire. Supposedly some police depatments have mw "gadgets" that can remotely stop a car engine. If they really did, I think we'd be hearing more about incidents where it's used. And my local PD would be demanding we taxpayers buy them one or a dozen, they want new toys every year.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

As to the 11uF bypass cap, that was a result of tuning the preamp in my prototype.

I made a little test circuit of the first 2 stages, and started with a 22uF, 10uF and 1uF cap all in parallel.

With all 33uF dialed in (fully bypassed), I had some blocking distortion on the 2nd stage, evidenced by a nasty flubby sound with the volume up. I found that I could reduce it using by using a smaller bass cap in the tone stack, or by adding a grid stopper to the 2nd stage input, or by just using the 1uF bypass cap. But I lost some bassy goodness (and everybody knows it's all about the bass) when I just used the 1uF.

The 10uF bypass cap seemed to give the most pleasant tone without as much blocking distortion. While fiddling with the switches, I found that for some reason, adding the 1uF cap in parallel with the 10uF made it sound even tighter and brighter - it seems like it magically reduced the 2nd stage blocking distortion just the right amount.

I don't know what made this occur, but I liked the result and kept it. I guess you could call it obsessive over-tuning on a prototype, since component tolerances would be greater than the 1uF difference, but maybe there is something going on with the film cap vs. the 'lytic?

Maybe I should patent it :lol:
Last edited by Ken Moon on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.