600v Mallory cap

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Richie

600v Mallory cap

Post by Richie »

I thought this might be interesting or maybe even a surprise to some. I have a Ampeg B-15 here,bone stock. Which had a leaking 600v electrolytic cap. You may see these caps used in other old amps.

Some people use the old shell for looks,or to make them look more orignial. Or to just slide in new caps.
Or it may help to use it for mounting a cap like the one you are replacing.

As you can see, they used 2 caps in series to make the one total value cap. Similar to what fender does.

Most people might think its a single high voltage rated cap. But as you can see from the pics, its 2 made to make one..:) And has an insulator between the 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnyreece

Re: 600v Mallory cap

Post by johnnyreece »

Interesting! I was always under the impression that balancing resistors should be used with series capacitors. It appears those lived a long and happy life, though.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

That's where I swap in a Solen 630V 22 uF film cap. Way better than original, just takes up more space.

When you see those old "dynamite sticks" don't hesitate to renew them with your favorite hi voltage filter. Why take a chance on having to replace another Ampeg potted transformer $$$ OW!
down technical blind alleys . . .
Richie

Post by Richie »

And as in fenders, the first cap in line seems to go bad first.
Overlook that the pos and neg are not laying the way they should be, I just pulled it and threw it down and took a pic. :D

yes Leo, new fresh caps were installed, bias and bypass caps.