What to build from salvaged twin reverb reissue.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Clinkous

What to build from salvaged twin reverb reissue.

Post by Clinkous »

I'm new to the forum but have enjoyed reading for some time. I own several modified silverface fenders (vibrochamp, twin, and a super reverb). New to amp building but have repaired and tweaked my own stuff. Built a couple of GGG pedal kits (both worked!!!....great sounding pedals) and have been reading everything I can get my hands on. Know just enough to be dangerous and realize I've just scratched the surface.

Sorry for the long intro... Getting money together for first amp kit and I thought about trying to build a stand alone reverb from a twin reissue chassis I have that was in an auto accident. All the parts seem to have survived minus some tubes and 1 socket. Maybe this is a horrible idea...Any others would be welcome!

Thought I would experiment before I ordered the kit I want to build (no reverb). Thanks for any suggestions and I look forward to learning more.
Stevem

Re: What to build from salvaged twin reverb reissue.

Post by Stevem »

If the chassis is usable that's gonna quite a big thing for just providing reverb?
Also in regards to the power transformer your B+ voltage , no less your heater voltage will be far higher than what you want / need to just power a reverb circuit!!!
If you get a new far smaller PT you could do this reverb box build, but also note that the output side of the reverb tank needs to be at least 5 inches away from the power transformer so it does not pick up tons of 60 hz hum!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

Depending on the condition of the parts, I would buy another chassis to rehouse the twin. You could then sell it, use it, or whatever. Building a *umble styled amp is another option.

Using the parts for a standalone reverb is like powering the baby carriage with a V8. Just slightly too much IMHO.
I Think I Think Too Much !
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

One think to note is that the reverb driver stage from the twin ( and many other Fender amps) is of itself a 1 watt output stage that can drive a 8 ohm speaker with ease so all you need is a simple preamp stage before it to have a complete little SE type amp!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Clinkous

Post by Clinkous »

Thanks for the replies!

The chassis is pretty bent so I'm about to strip it. I will use the available parts, sockets, etc. to try to build a simple SE amp. I have most of the parts available for Dave Hunter's two stroke design.

Picking up some prototype board and am going to see what I can do. If it sounds good (assuming it makes sound at all!!) maybe I will build on a turret board and make a head out of it.

I'm just really excited to start SOMETHING. Have to figure out more about the transformers in the twin and if I can adapt to the basic idea or not.

Anyway, I will keep posting and welcome any comments, suggestions, or just plain "you're a complete idiot!" observations.

Thanks everyone!
Chris
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The twins power transfomer is going to have far too much voltage and current for a one output tube, or a duel ( parallel)output tube SE type class A amp and unfortunately this two facts also pretty much rule out using the twins OT for a SE build also!

Your going to have to keep it a A/B type amp like it was or do a power scaling set up to the power supply which you should stay away from for a first full on build.
You might concider selling or trading those transformers for something that will let you build a small SE type amp this first time around the block!?

Clinkous

Post by Clinkous »

Thanks Steve. I figured they were too large for what I want to do and really want to keep it simple. I'll probably just remove what I have and get the numbers off of everything. Still have all the jacks, sockets, fuse, cord, and miscellaneous small parts. What do you think about the two stroke as a start or would you recommend another, maybe one of the ax84 designs?

If I have a BOM and a layout and schematic I believe I can copy most anything. Then when it doesn't work I guess that's where the real learning starts!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I be leaning towards a AX84 build once you truly pin down how big a amp you need and how much power you need!
I would also think in terms of your next build and do something on a chassis that will allow you to down the road add another output tube, preamp tube ,bigger transformers and baffle room for a bigger speaker as the cost difference between say something like a champ chassis and cabinet is not that much less than the bigger stuff to build a Deluxe reverb size amp!

Clinkous

Post by Clinkous »

Thanks for the advice. I just finished stripping the twin. I'm going to order the chassis and amp kit from ax84 that can be upgraded to high octane.

I play my super at my gigs with a kit ts808 when needed. Smaller gigs I use the vibro champ with a delay pedal if room is not reverby enough. Cuts right through if lifted up and tilted.

I would like a dirty, heavier amp for sitting in with louder bands that play more rock. The deluxe volume level would cover most any situation where I wasn't miked. I do like to feel the back of my pants leg move sometimes though (the twin with pedals!).

Thanks again for the input and I'll try to keep it simple stupid to start.