Help with Ampeg B15n diagnostics

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

Re: Help with Ampeg B15n diagnostics

Post by Stevem »

I would just use fiberglass resin and let it set up for two days.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks for the answer Leo... I was just making sure of my maths. I do appreciate the quick and easy method of subbing in a known good part, that what every good repair involves at some point. Why not do it first and avoid other unnecessary labor/time. I also respect you and the advice you and many others give. That is the main reason I love this site more than any other.

Thank you!
Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Richie

Post by Richie »

The B15N though the years had some different changes made.
One is the output plug/cable,and circuit. they had a protection circuit too.

Might be a good idea to see if any of that has been changed. Many people want to use a reg jack.

here is some info on them.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Ampeg_B_15_N
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

After this winter, there are plenty of holes in the road getting patched. Maybe I can just pull up next to the tar truck and hold the can out the window for a fill-up. :)
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Lol! Well if it was not for its water content you could use Hydrualic cement to fill the can with also!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

F

UPDATE: I just completed stuffing a MC Classictone bassman tranny into the original Ampeg can. There was one major issue with this process that is a show-stopper for using this tranny in the future. To make the MC fit in the can, you must remove at least one end bell and mounting brackets. When I removed the end bell it broke one of the primary wires. This happened because the potting substance sticks the end bell to the paper bobbins and when I pulled it off, the wire came too. I was able to resolder the wiring and I think it will be ok (will be firing this up tonight). BIG, SCARY WARNING: I would not recommend using these transformers for this application in the future. Maybe MC can ship them without the end bells, but I doubt it. I could not find another vendor that had a tranny without endbells that also has 8 and 16 ohm output taps which the B15N requires. Otherwise, the project went smoothly. At this point my only concern is the paraffin melting on an outdoor gig.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Bring small fan for those outdoor gigs for sure!