Hoso56 Build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Hoso56 Build

Post by dorrisant »

I have been wanting to build a 65 Amps Soho since the moment i got a chance to try one out. Still can't find a complete schematic so I did the best I could... I built a Hoso 56! Thanks to Geezer and 10thTX!!

I built it with 6V6s. Why? That's what I had the iron for. PT from here, OT from there. Chassis and combo cab were leftover from a friend's project. He had three sets from Gibson GA-20RVTs. One was left stock, another was turned into a Lite IIb and he said I could keep the third which was a bare chassis and a beat up cab with no baffle.

I put in a set of relays for channel switching and the tremolo that fit in the unused noval socket. Had some bugs... worked them out. All in all it sounds pretty sweet so far. I want to try some different voicings for the two channels but I will let it stew for a while first.

Sorry about the glare in the pics... My camera has a crack in the protective screen. I will be getting a new phone soon, so no worries. Thanks for taking a peek!!

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Re: Hoso56 Build

Post by dorrisant »

Some more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Two more...
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sweet build . I dig the way you used those turret strips
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks c bass. I have been looking atthose for a while. I really like how the filter section turned out.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Awesome Tony. Great build.
The word that comes to mind is "inspiring"
8)
Why Aye Man
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Cool build Tony!! How does it sound? I've been interested in the Hoso since I saw a Soho on stage behind the guitarist for SNL, who always has a rippin tone. I think his main amp is a Monterrey, but nonetheless I'd be curious to hear your description.
Meat&Beer

Post by Meat&Beer »

I Love Love Love builds like these, great job! The antiqued copper looking chickenhead choice is really cool. Also how you left the pencil markings, the Made In USA... There's so much character! (Don't cover that stuff up!)

I'd also be very interested in how it sounds. :D
Play your guitar(s)!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Just superb job on the build! Looks fantastic!

with respect, 10thtx
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks guys... :oops: :D

I spent some time this morning reviewing the video clips of the Soho and then some time this afternoon playing what I have here. I must say that this circuit gets very close to that same tone. Since I didn't attempt the bump circuit I'm sure some things are different. I can dial it in for most of what was on YouTube.

This amp can get quite a bit smoother for sure. As I recall from playing the real Soho this amp beats it when it comes to clean playing, especially when the tremolo is kicked in. It is just beautiful! At the same time it can do that Pentode snarl I was looking for. I was thinking if building something based on the 18w TMB EF86 circuit but I'm very pleased with this one.

I'm glad I left this amp to marinate for a while. Others have played it for a few jam sessions. I thought it sounded a bit dull at first but it seems to have come into its own. Maybe a little tweaking later.

Posted below is the schematic I used. I dialed the voltages in so the dropping string values are different as well as the power section. I wanted to know what Geezer and 10thTX were hearing first and maybe tweak it from there.

Thank you guys again for the kind words. Btw... I'm putting the finishing touches on tube Mic preamp and an Altec 436/438 clone with the Abbey Road mods. When one or both are done I will post some clips. For now I will re-tolex the cab and replace the baffle.

Do build one if you have the desire... You will be smiling for sure!!

Tony
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I will offer something for consideration using 6V6GT's instead of EL84's that were in the original HoSo56 that Geezer made. IF using EL84's, I'd stick with Geezer's values for sure.

These suggestions are based on two different D'Mars builds I've done and a HoSo56 that I did maybe a yr to 2 yrs ago. The recent HoSo56 was built with 6V6's in mind as well as one of the D'Mars builds (which uses 6K6 or 6V6). Two of the amps have PPIMV which has proved useful if dialed above "5".

The changes in the tone stack give it more bass response that is tighter and smoother both, IMO. You will have a smoother OD and somewhat less chimey with a little less crunch also.

The changes from .0047 to .01 into the LTPI and the post LTPI coupling caps from .01 to .03 also give it a tighter bass response.

The increase in the coupling cap from 8uf to 100uf also gives a tighter bass response that is less compressed then with the 8uf cap.

I am not suggesting these changes will make the amp better but you can get a very smooth OD tone doing this with a tighter bass response, IMO.

With respect, 10thtx
davent

Post by davent »

Nice build! Coincidentally, the last couple of days i've been plugging away on my build with 6aq5's, what is the value of choke that's suggested for one of these, haven't stumbled across a suggestion for one yet in my searches at Hoffman's.

Thanks guys!
dave
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Here's what I used along with another shot of the tubes for perspective.

Tiny little thing!

Tony
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man that is a nice clean build!

I have thought about using those turret strips before and I like the way you used them.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
davent

Post by davent »

Thanks Tony!

dave