Mystery Output transformer

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Buddha's Guitar Tech

Mystery Output transformer

Post by Buddha's Guitar Tech »

First time ever trying to decode a suspect OT.
Selmer 30SV – someone modded it from EL506 to EL34 and swapped in a replacement OT. Had a hunch it was wired incorrectly... Secondary.

3 taps. Four wires are Black, Brown, Orange, Green.
Black was wired common.

FADED HAND-WRITING on the casing, I can just about see that someone wrote BROWN is common. So I'm scratching my head.
I have a Fluke 179 meter; doesn't read low resistances very well, so I can't trust simple DCR measurements across the taps.

With BLACK as common, turn ratios looked like this:
GR–8:1
BR–11:1
OR–38:1

Using ORANGE as common:
GR–11:1
BR–17:1
BK–38:1

Using GREEN as common:
BK–8:1
OR–11:1
BR–31:1

Using BROWN as common:
BK–11:1
OR–17:1
GR–31:1

I got these results by sticking a fixed AC source across the primary legs and measuring voltage on the other side. Divided primary V by secondary V.

My question is: does that jump up to the 30s seem out of whack? It happens between Black & Orange, and Green & Brown... I'm still scratching my head, drawing it out...

Am I losing my mind? :-)
None More Black – guitar & amp repair – https://www.facebook.com/nonemoreblack
Phil_S

Re: Mystery Output transformer

Post by Phil_S »

Remember, the impedance ratio is the square of the turns ratio. That means there will be a jump. For example, a 4K OT with 4-8-16 ohm taps will have turns ratios of 31.6, 22.4, and 15.8.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

Check what I have...

The chart on the right is a known OT. Primary impedances in a similar range are grouped by colour.

I can't find any such pattern in the chart on the left, my OT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Which could mean it is defective.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

That's my gut feeling.
The amp actually sounds ok – pretty loud. The single output was wired black & orange – 37.6 : 1 into 8 ohms.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

People play tricks with transformers.

If I were faced with this problem, I would put a voltage on the secondaries some way and then use an oscilloscope to tell what voltage ratios *and* phase the secondary wires put out.

One of the tricky things that can happen is that for 16, 8 and 4 ohm taps, it is possible to wind the sections all separately, which is what we expect for "taps". However, it is also possible to wind the 16 and 4 ohms windings simultaneously with non-identical wire, as a 4-ohm winding needs half the turns of a 16, so from one end of the winding to the other, the CT is the 4-ohm output, the 16 is the full winding. The 8 ohm winding has turns equal to 0.707 times the full 16 ohms winding and 1.4 times the 4-ohm winding. This could be done as a tap on either the full-16 side or the end-to-CT side and 41% into the 16. That lets you change the common between CT and one end of the full 4/16 winding.

**WHY** anyone would want to do that is a mystery, but it is possible if someone saw a way to save a buck.

Watching the voltages and phases on the various windings tells you if you have a wire in the middle of other windings as a "common" as the voltage is in one phaseon one side, the opposite on the other side.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Phasing is important when measuring to really determine which wires are the two ends of the winding. Or of course you can work that out with a meter that measures low ohms OK.

Is this single ended or push-pull? Just having trouble finding solid info on the SV30.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

Katopan, this is a replacement OT. Push-pull. Someone stuck it in there years ago.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

RG, I'm afraid my brain can't keep up.

Let me get something straight. **If** the secondaries were wired separately, we wouldn't see continuity through all four wires, right?
I'm getting readings through all four, suggesting to me that this is a tapped OT. Am I getting the lingo right?

Did you mean, stick some AC on the primary, and check phase & volts on secondary? Did that, but didn't check for phase. (I do have a scope.)

BEFORE THAT THOUGH...

This is getting complicated; my experience tells me when that happens, to go back to principles.

I measured DCR on the secondaries again. I used shorter leads and got some results that at least showed a difference between wires. I even used a second meter, not quite as accurate, but the readings from that supported the Fluke's.

Both meters measured ohms to one decimal place, so when they danced between .1 and .2, I used an arbitrary .18.

And along with all the data I collected yesterday, I've drawn a plausible conclusion.

The big '30' turns ratio support the idea that green & brown are close to each other, and that orange & black are close to each other.

Primary impedance: I'm still scratching my head. With green tap @ 16 ohms, and brown tap @ 8 ohms, you get results close to each other. (around 1,110) Orange @ 4 ohms is way off. If it was for a 1-ohm speaker... Now I'm talking crazy. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

Yeah, so uhhh... THIS might explain a few things... :-)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I was going to suggest a test for shorted turns. This has been described by R.G. himself, and I wondered why he hadn't suggested it. You could still try it and see what you get.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

I was already leaning toward the idea of shorted turns, based on what I perceived as wild jumps in turns ratio. But is there a rock-solid method?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

katopan

Post by katopan »

Yeah, that'd do it.

Other test that can show a lower reading for shorted turns is measuring inductance. But you need a meter that can measure it.

Or measure current when you hook it up to an AC supply. A short will draw more than the typically small amount of leakage current.
Buddha's Guitar Tech

Interesting, thanks Martin.