Drawing Schematics

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Re: Drawing Schematics

Post by vibratoking »

I wouldn't be concerned about that in normal operation with the chassis mounted in the cab.

I could envision a boob like me shorting power to ground with a probe or something of that nature. So, I guess I wouldn't do it that way.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
RB

Post by RB »

That eyelet board looks like it may be from Weber. Could be a Weber kit. If it is then you could get a schematic for it (as well as their layout). You just need to compare layouts of his kits with you chassis and find out what model it is.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Gaz wrote:Or are you mentioning it because it's one of those crappy fiber boards?
Yes, that and the possibility that the flux around the eyelet could be conductive etc (we've all seen flux get fuzzy over time). Not really a safety issue if the chassis is grounded as it should be, just not good practices IMO.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

If you don't find a schem, once you get the layout correct try using MS Paint to lay it out. That's what I use and it works great.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
bradicusmaximus

Post by bradicusmaximus »

RB wrote:That eyelet board looks like it may be from Weber. Could be a Weber kit. If it is then you could get a schematic for it (as well as their layout). You just need to compare layouts of his kits with you chassis and find out what model it is.
GOOD EYE! This appears to be what I'm looking at: [img:1614:1047]http://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/java_layout.jpg[/img]
RB

Post by RB »

Yeah I just was over there and I agree it is the DIY Java kit which I think is their take on a TW Express
bradicusmaximus

Post by bradicusmaximus »

I'm guessing I'll be spending some time lurking in the Trainwreck forum to get a feel for these creatures and what they are supposed to be like. At least now I have a starting point with some reference.

Thanks everyone for the input! It's very much appreciated.
RB

Post by RB »

This will actually be a good learning experience. I don't know how your kit was wired. If the builder used the alternate wiring shown on the schematic then the schematics will be very close to the same. What will be shocking is the difference in the layouts.

This eyelet board is/was used in a number of their kits so I think they view it as "universal eyelet board". From my perspective is it universally bad but obviously gets the job done.

I get a lot of work fixing or completing kits for people that get in over their heads and I have the patience if the have the money.

The first time I saw that board in one of their kits I was reminded of the example of chimps finger painting. If you get enough chimps in a room and have the time eventually they will produce the Mona Lisa. Only this is if you dump components on that board and move them around long enough you will get a working circuit.

When you compare it to the TW and see how simple that board is you can only wonder why not make a board like that and save ten bucks worth of eyelets.

Electronics is wonderful hobby so have fun with all of this and start building your own amps. I built my first single tube radio when I was 10 and I am almost 70 now and I am still just excited about vacuum tube electronics as I was then.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I don't like the impedance selector so close to the power tube socket. That said, I've seen some old Gibson amps that looked worse inside and still sound great and were just as reliable as most others.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo