Well, now I have a GIANT chassis....

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guittech

Well, now I have a GIANT chassis....

Post by guittech »

hey guys, was at my local junky gear dealer chatting and noticed a Genz Benz Heeadshell with a loose chassis. Asked what it was, turns out they just bought a LOT quantity of semi broken Genz Benz stuff, and this was a "donor amp" It was already mostly stripped, but i could have it if I wanted it. Sp I said sure... why not? It's a GIANT Head shell, for the El Diablo 50/100. Currently punched for 4 octal tubes and 3 9 pin... and about 30 controls.... I gotta see what i have laying around in the junk pile. It has a power transformer that (fingers crossed) might be working. I have an old Dagnall OT at the shop i have never tested to see if it works.... I think it's a 50 watt OT for a JCM900 50 watter.

If the transformers work, maybe I'll build something silly :)
Figure even if it is an amp made of crap parts (don't hear nice things about genz benz) The PT should be powerful enough to build....something? Of course it seems Genz Benz is out of business and dead since the sale of Kaman Music.
Phil_S

Re: Well, now I have a GIANT chassis....

Post by Phil_S »

Put a bunch of lights in those holes for the pots.
Wow!
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

It's odd that the website is still functioning.

http://www.genzbenz.com/
I Think I Think Too Much !
xtian

Post by xtian »

I think you should build a micro-watt Champ in it. One knob.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
guittech

Post by guittech »

I couldn't get the website to work before..... Hmmm, I know Fender's purchase of Kaman Music and then dumping most of it later screwed with all the companies, maybe they are on the rebound.... Maybe i can order the amp handle i need for this chassis lol!

A micro watt champ would be fun.... I was thinking perhaps a 2 channel thingamabobbit.... use 2 octal tubes for el34's maybe one for a 6sl7 or something.... An octal "clean channel" and a Marshall style "Dirty channel" I have been lamenting not having any octal based amps.... I could always just punch out the preamp sockets and make an ALL OCTAL amp! :D
guittech

Post by guittech »

[IMG:1024:1365]http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/guittech/IMG_5157_zpsi2ki3pcq.jpg[/img]

Here's my UBER CHASSIS lol. Switches and lamp holders (and lamps) still in it. Headshell in okay shape. and as I mentioned one Big ass power transformer I will still need to test. I tend to walk to work, and this is bulky, so it'll have to wait a few weeks until the wife and I are free on a saturday to drop it off at work (where i have workspace for this stuff) TheTubeStore is local (an hour and change away) so I may get a few octal tubes to try out. I am thinking perhaps doing a clubman type circuit, with 6sl7 dual triodes and a 6sj7 pentode. If the stock power transformer was designed for 4 el34's or 4 6l6's it should have MORE than enough power for something like that.... if it works. Even if the OT i have isn't compatible, I can get a hammond one from a local supplier pretty easily. I need to track down one of the weird inset handles they use for the headshell, but a friend is the official repair person for Genz Benz in my area, so I will ask him if he can source one for me.

The tough part will be making a faceplate that fits this thing and hides 99% of the controls! It also still has a set of LED's that used a tap from the heater windings and rectify it to light a strip of them.... we'll see if they work too. THe logo is painted on aluminum so I may be able to use some goo gone or something to clean that off.... Should be a fun project, even if its just to leave at work for a test amp.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Whenever I see a big chassis like that, I want to build a Dumble ODS :D

Like #183 with 4x EL34's
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
guittech

Post by guittech »

Structo wrote:Whenever I see a big chassis like that, I want to build a Dumble ODS :D

Like #183 with 4x EL34's
Hmmmmmmm.... :)
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice score! About the faceplate... You could use a thin piece of aluminum cut the same size as the face plate. Mount pots, jacks and switches through it to hold it to the chassis... Blank slate!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo