slow power up on traynor bassmate

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guittech

slow power up on traynor bassmate

Post by guittech »

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone can give an idea before i open her up again... I had a traynor bassmate, modded the circuit a very small amount (mild tone shaping, switching to 12ay7 preamp tube) and loved it. Went to test it out the other day, and i noticed when i powered it up, it took a minute to power on, and the light (heaters) slowly cycled on/off stronger and stronger until it finally "powered up" Anyone see this before? I know it bounced around the trunk of the wife's car for a day, maybe stressed a cold solder joint... just never ran into an amp that cycles up like that. It worked when it powered up, but i didn't play it much, out of concern for what is going on.

Thanks in advance!
xtian

Re: slow power up on traynor bassmate

Post by xtian »

guittech wrote:maybe stressed a cold solder joint
Sounds very likely. Pull the tubes and start by checking the heater circuit for intermittent connections.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Stevem

Re: slow power up on traynor bassmate

Post by Stevem »

You should start your check out at whatever tube gets the heater connections right off the transformer!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!