Standard Amp-Building Hardware

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LedZepp007

Standard Amp-Building Hardware

Post by LedZepp007 »

For building amps from scratch, what nuts, bolts, standoffs, etc. should a person keep around? I'm sure there are standards to have on hand that cover you so you don't have to buy specific hardware every time you do a build?

Thanks!
sluckey

Re: Standard Amp-Building Hardware

Post by sluckey »

I have plenty of various length 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 screws. Kep nuts for those sizes also. I like 1/2" x 6-32 and 1/2" x 8-32 aluminum standoffs. I keep a variety of insulated standoff turrets for jobs like grid stoppers.
LedZepp007

Post by LedZepp007 »

sluckey wrote:I have plenty of various length 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 screws. Kep nuts for those sizes also. I like 1/2" x 6-32 and 1/2" x 8-32 aluminum standoffs. I keep a variety of insulated standoff turrets for jobs like grid stoppers.
Perfect! Thanks!!
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Solder tabs for chassis grounds. If you order fom Tube Depot, they have a good "hardware" section, at least in the sense that they have a lot of stuff. Get a ill of everything, then you can buyin bulk when you figure out what you like. You can find good deals on all thistuff on eBay,too.
Oh don't forget the loctite, or nail polish, if you prefer.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

TIME!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Star and lock washers, regular washers, very small zip ties (if you're a tidy kinda guy), rubber grommets for chassis through holes (I.e. Tranny leads), both single and dual lug ground tabs, various wood screws for amp feet screwed into wood cabinets, 1/4" bolts and hardware for amp feet in some designs.

Also be aware that #10 stuff can be both 10-32 and 10-24.

That's all I can think of right this moment, but I know there's more.
Ron
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Heat shrink tubing!
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Forgot to add turrets and / or eyelets for boards, strain reliefs if you don't go the IEC route, octal tube clips and so forth.

In other words, there's a shit-ton of stuff to keep on hand if you're really into it. I also recommend using stainless where possible. It's a bit softer, but looks great and will not corrode.

If you build or work on Fenders (particularly brown-black-silverface) , there is a bunch of very specific hardware for back panels, tilt back legs, chassis straps, logos, speakers, baffle mounting and so forth.
Ron