relays and surprise pops

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

relays and surprise pops

Post by Smokebreak »

I've got this 2 channel amp. Both channels share the 1st 2K7/.68 stage . The switching happens after the first stage, and before the PI.
I had laid down an extra relay, so I wired up a 5U to go in parallel with the cathode arrangement to fire with the clean channel switching, to fatten the cleans up.
I put a 100K across the switch, as I do with panel switches that accomplish the same thing, and was surprised that it was causing a major pop, as that always cures it when wiring a panel switch.
Why is this? I've confirmed that the cap is charged, so it's not the cap that's popping. Is it that there's still a little voltage across the relay, or that the DC is not the same on both contacts?
Schematic attached. Note that the energized relay fires the clean channel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tone Lover

Re: relays and surprise pops

Post by Tone Lover »

I should have read it better before posting.
Bill
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

The Marshall side at the PI has a 1M MV, and the Fender side has a 1M, so I'm covered there.
After the first stage, I've put dropdown resistors everywhere imaginable;)
The very mild popping from the channel switching (#2 and #3) is bearable for now...I'll get to that in a bit...
The popping I brought up is definitely coming from the addition of the cathode cap relay. I have tested this, and was a later addition to the amp.

Allright I may as well bring up the channel switching popping now too ;)
Ok so this is different than the cathode cap issue.
Relays 2 and 3 have a fairly bad pop right when I turn the amp on, and for 30 second or so. Once all voltages in the amp settle in, there is no popping. I don't have to cycle through the switching either...doesn't matter. I can turn the amp on, wait 1 minute, then there is no popping. This is driving me crazy, as I just built nearly an identical amp a month ago that's silent.
All I can think is that the cap before the relay is huge at .47. That, or it's leaking. I haven't gotten that far yet.
I'm more baffled by this cathode thing.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Here's a few relay suggestions to try. Cheap N easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Here's a few relay suggestions to try. Cheap N easy.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.