Switchcraft type 226 plug mystery

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sixstringer

Switchcraft type 226 plug mystery

Post by sixstringer »

I recently ordered 30 Switchcraft type 226 right-angle plugs to complete a pedel board and to "upgrade" some guitar cords. The pedal board cables were constructed, tested (for continuity with a DMM and with a signal generator), and assembled into the board. When finished, the board did not pass a signal. Each pedal was tested independently and worked correctly, power supply voltage and current was correct. All patch cords were retested and checked out fine. While working through the circuit, some cable connections did not seem to be passing the signal even though they tested good. A known-good George L cable was substituted and the signal passed without issue. Then, the guy with the "upgraded" guitar cords called and said they didn't work (they tested fine for continuity when delivered to him). I got them back, they tested good, but when tested with a guitar, they would not pass the signal! I've never used Switchcraft type 226 plugs before and have now ordered G&H replacements. Switchcraft says they never heard of this before. I'm sending them one of the defective cords for review. Has anyone else ever had this problem with 1/4" plugs testing good and not passing a guitar PU signal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billyz

Re: Switchcraft type 226 plug mystery

Post by billyz »

I prefer the switchcraft 226 right angle to the g&h becuase the g&h loosens up and the back falls off and gets lost. Never had any issues with the switchcraft 226. I can only imagine what might be the cause of the failure, shorted maybe. What cable did you use? I have had the crimp cut thru to the inner tip lead if not careful.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Plug one into an unmounted naked Switchcraft jack. It is possible that the tip or sleeve is somehow not making contact? This would be easy to observe. It seems to me to be the logical culprit.
sixstringer

Post by sixstringer »

Thanks for the responses, I agree that a shorted plug would be the logical answer but it tests good. I've made and repaired a lot of cables.
I am using ProCo Excellines 20 AWG 26 strand guitar cable. I have used the Switchcraft straight plugs for years without a problem.

I tested the faulty cables with the plug cover removed with the same result, correct continuity with a DMM, signal passing with a signal generator but no signal with a guitar PU. These cables have been constructed carefully with neat and tidy solder joints. At first, I thought I had just messed up on a cord or two, but after finding so many, inspecting them carefully and finding no construction errors, I began to question the actual plugs. As a test, I made one cord with one straight plug and one 226 right-angle plug. It did not pass a guitar signal. I cut the 226 end off and it worked fine. If I get a similar result with the G&H, I'll go back to investigating my construction technique.
davidjon_99

Post by davidjon_99 »

When you tested continuity did you test to see if the tip was shorted with the ground side of the plug? Only thing I can think of is that there is an internal short in the plug.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'm not questioning your experience level here. It sounds like a case of something you are doing but not seeing that you are doing it. It could still be the plugs?

I recognize this is a long shot. Given the frustration level here, I think I'd test tip to sleeve to verify it is open. No signal indicates there is a short. There are 4 tests. At each end, tip to sleeve (that's 2) and then tip to opposite-end sleeve (that's 2 more). I assume you are using gator clips!
sixstringer

Post by sixstringer »

I'd be thinking the same thing... believe me, I've tested the meter leads, clips, and done the tests you describe repeatedly. The faulty cords test good (correct continuity) on the meter. They test good with a signal (from two different signal oscillators) into an amp. But with a low mV signal from a guitar PU, no signal passes. It seems like some resistance from the plug is blocking the low voltage but I've never seen that before. If anyone with good experience with the Switchcraft 226 plug wants to PM me, I'll forward one of these cords for you to check out. You can keep the cord. I'd appreciate your assessment.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

When you test continuity i'm assuming you're using the lowest meter setting as you should but when testing to see if there is a short between the hot tip and the ground I would set the meter to the highest setting possible (20M Ohms on my meter).

I've also used those switchcraft plugs without any issues.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have had this happen, and this is what I have found.
Take a dial caliper or a ruler with 1/32" divisions and measure the overall shank length and the sperate lenght of the 226 jacks tip from the left side of the tips nylon insulator to the end of the tip.
I found that the 226 is just overly long enough to make certain Female jacks tip connector short across the nylon washer area on the 226, esspecially in a femal Jack that it Turning a battery on and off for some reason.
I have had this happen on Pedals and active guitars even with the 226!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
jelle

Post by jelle »

Once you go Switchcraft, you never go back! 8)
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Stevem wrote:I have had this happen...I found that the 226 is just overly long enough to make certain Female jacks tip connector short across the nylon washer area...
Interesting...this is what I was going after when I suggested you insert the plug into the naked jack, that you might see this going on. It's not your work. It's to plug. Made in the far East maybe and a little bit out of spec?
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Phil_S wrote:
Stevem wrote:I have had this happen...I found that the 226 is just overly long enough to make certain Female jacks tip connector short across the nylon washer area...
Interesting...this is what I was going after when I suggested you insert the plug into the naked jack, that you might see this going on. It's not your work. It's to plug. Made in the far East maybe and a little bit out of spec?
Yup, everything out of spec comes from the far east! Us Americans ask them far easterners to make us cheap shit...and they do. :P
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
jelle

Post by jelle »

^ That. Exactly that.
sixstringer

Post by sixstringer »

I've made new cords with new Switchcraft, G&H and even RadioShack plugs,
they all test good for continuity and none of them will pass a signal. In the exact same test conditions, other cords all work fine. I'm stumped (and I need to finish this guy's pedal board).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If all of those cables you made work when plugged inbetween just a guitar and a amp then the obvious issue in all of this is cheaply made and incorrectly made Female's in the stomp boxes!!
If any of those boxes have the internal room to install a switchcraft Jack you will find the issue at least with that one re-worked stomp box gone!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!