Schematic & Layout Drawing?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davent

Re: Schematic & Layout Drawing?

Post by davent »

sluckey wrote:
I use free ExpressPCB for drawing schematics
That's the best looking Express schematic I've ever seen. I'm guessing ExpressPCB is different from ExpressSCH???
Thanks! It's just the schematic drawing half of the ExpressPCB package.
Using the native components plus the tube components available at the Hoffman forum.

Drew up and labelled the schematic with ExpressPCB, print to pdf. Opened the pdf in Inkscape and relabelled with a more appealing font, added a touch of colour and called it a day.

dave
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

You're right about Visio.. it is an easy pgm for drawing and layouts, and a lot of ready made stuff is available here, - ready made ( thanks to those who has done alot of work). In fact - any drawing pgm can be made to work....

The main thing about a pro package, is that you have a very stringent connection between the schematic and the pcb part. Every component is entereed with it's physical layout and size, and there is a forward/ backward lining for changes made underway. There is also error warnings and corrections for illegal moves as the work goes on.

But as said, there is a price to pay, both in money and work complexity....
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

MS Visio is my go to for layouts, very easy to use.
Ron
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

WOW! :shock: HOLY COW!

Thanks to all of you folks for a great wealth of suggestions, comments and tips. I never expected this much response, but truly appreciate it all. Great places to start.

I totally understand and agree that an "official" schematic/layout program would likely be overkill and possibly even a little constrictive, considering that drawing a tube amplifier is certainly not like drawing the electrical system of the space shuttle.

The DIY software looked okay for my MAC, but I couldn't accomplish a successful download, so I'm a little gun shy, but still will give it another look for the Pee-Cee version.

The Express stuff looks kinda cool/useful, probably a good place to start. Even if I don't love it, it should give me a few clues as to what to look for and what is just fluff and what to avoid.

I just want to get down ideas before losing them due to fighting /playing with software. It will also be nice to be able to communicate with many members of this great community in at least a slightly broken version of the language you speak!

In case anyone is interested, I'll post any and all reports of my progress, etc. in this thread.

Thanks Again,
Gene
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

This is the kind of stuff I do with Visio...

http://home.comcast.net/~seluckey/amps/ ... 6plexi.pdf

The board layout and components are actual size. This makes it easy to see if a component will really fit on the board like you plan. The drill guide will print out actual size so all you have to do is tape it to your board, center punch the turret locations and drill it. Works very well for a single board. And if you want 100 boards but don't want to do the drilling, just send the Visio file to Hoffman and he will CNC your boards at a very affordable price.

But mostly, the Visio files just look good! And Visio is available at a wide range of prices. There are educator/student prices and some large corporations qualify for Microsoft's HUP program. I bought Visio directly from MS for only $10 because of the FAA's participation in the HUP (Home Use Program). Maybe you know a student, teacher, or even better, a federal employee.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Like others I use Visio for schematics and layouts. I have access at work. At home I use the fully compatible Linux LibreOffice Draw.

Schematics for PCB layout I use Diptrace. Fabulous program with everything I was looking for as an ex-Protel user. It's freeware for up to 300 holes which is usually more than adequate for anything amp or pedal related. You could use this just for drawing schematics.

Simulations I do in LTSpice. Once again you could use this just for drawing schematics.
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

sluckey wrote:This is the kind of stuff I do with Visio...

http://home.comcast.net/~seluckey/amps/ ... 6plexi.pdf
Hey!!! killer layout and very nicely made PDF.

I bet this is what the OP wanted :)
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

Thanks Folks,
Visio looks a a winner, if the learning curve isn't too terrible and I can find a good price. I'll hunt around and I have a few "software" friends who may have a multi-use version that I might be able to glom. So far I've only seen the direct from MS prices:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... 30132015:s

A little more than I'd like to spend, but....... If I can find someone who has it installed so I can try it for an hour or two, I might be sold.

Thanx Again,
Gene
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

That microsoftstore link is for Visio Standard. You'll need the Professional version to get all the electronic engineering stencils.

You should be able to find Visio Pro 2003 at a very reasonable price. Look on eBay. Or cross over to the dark side.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

sluckey wrote:That microsoftstore link is for Visio Standard. You'll need the Professional version to get all the electronic engineering stencils.

You should be able to find Visio Pro 2003 at a very reasonable price. Look on eBay. Or cross over to the dark side.

Wait, the Microsoft store takes you to the dark side. The unofficial options are the bright side where this is concerned, IMO.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Visio works like most every MS Office program in terms of general commands. Drawing specific stuff seems to follow industry standards. In other words, it's dead easy to work with.
Ron
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I use Jshem for schematics and Visio for layouts.
There is a thread in the dumble files section with component templates.
Aaron
LuciMan

Post by LuciMan »

I just want to mention DIYLC (Windows) which was used by our member Turret. He made great layout drawings: VOX AC15 [JMI] Replica Layout and schematic

Cheers
Claus
Vox (DIY): AC3 TB SuperTwin; AC10; AC15; AC30/4; AC30/6 TB (rear); AC30/6 TB Reverb
Burns: 40th Anniversary Hank Marvin Signature, white / Double Six, redburst
Framus: Strato 5/154-54
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

LuciMan wrote:I just want to mention DIYLC (Windows) which was used by our member Turret. He made great layout drawings: VOX AC15 [JMI] Replica Layout and schematic

Cheers
Claus
Wow !!!!!!! :D
never thought something so advanced could be drawn with DIYLC, I use and recommend it for pedal type builds, but obviously it's capable of much more. :shock:
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

JMFahey wrote:
LuciMan wrote:I just want to mention DIYLC (Windows) which was used by our member Turret. He made great layout drawings: VOX AC15 [JMI] Replica Layout and schematic

Cheers
Claus
Wow !!!!!!! :D
never thought something so advanced could be drawn with DIYLC, I use and recommend it for pedal type builds, but obviously it's capable of much more. :shock:
Agreed, definitely an attractive layout! I'm not sure that I like the schematic so much, though. I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's the use of colored text for the component values that makes it "feel" just a bit unnatural. Maybe it's simply because of being so used to looking at more standard schematics in black & white. His choices certainly don't discount the obvious capabilities!
Just Sayin'
Gene