Heater wiring rant

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FourT6and2

Re: Heater wiring rant

Post by FourT6and2 »

This is how I do it. So easy and clean!

To get the bus wire straight, I take a long length (4-5 feet) and tie each end around a screw driver. I step on one screw driver with both feet, and hold the other one in my hands like a T-Grip. Then you pull reaaaaaaally hard and twist slightly. Maybe 45 degrees back and forth a bit. The wire will go perfectly straight as soon as you feel it stretch ever so slightly.

Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

I usually do it like this. I know it's not quite the Merlin method, as he says this way creates a loop, but it's just a lot easier for me than going "up the middle" on the small preamp tube sockets.

FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

Ken Moon wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:30 am I usually do it like this. I know it's not quite the Merlin method, as he says this way creates a loop, but it's just a lot easier for me than going "up the middle" on the small preamp tube sockets.

How do you make sure the filaments are all phased correctly when you use all one color wire?
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Those are two slightly different shades of red, from different batches of wire 8)
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

Ken Moon wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:28 am Those are two slightly different shades of red, from different batches of wire 8)
Sneaky sneaky