Heater wiring rant

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lord preset

Heater wiring rant

Post by lord preset »

I hate doing heater wiring with a burning passion hotter than a thousand suns. In that way I'm just like everyone else.

But I do have a serious if possibly dumb question. If it is critical that filament wires remain tightly twisted in parallel all the way up to the pins why are tubes designed so the wires have to be run to pins on the opposite sides of the socket? This seems illogical if not evil.
nickt

Re: Heater wiring rant

Post by nickt »

Heater wiring proves Satan exists. It's a fact.

As far as tight twisting goes I'm not sure it's necessary. If I recall Soldano doesn't even twist his heater wires and just runs two straight lines close to the chassis because it's easier.

For less pain it might be an idea to use teflon coated wire. The Mojave amps look pretty good and teflon doesn't get messed up by soldering irons.

YMMV of course :)
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Now you can see why Fender (and everybody) liked to connect one side straight to the chassis. Not modern practice, but easy.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Don't have to be twisted, just tightly coupled together. Twisting just helps them stay together. I've been experimenting with 2-conductor packages, but haven't found the perfect thing yet.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

I have seen the Soldano straight wire technique, but it presumes that you can get wires to be straight. In my world straight lines are impossible. I use teflon wire which for all its virtues tends to be springy and reluctant to stay where it's put. I twist heater wires on a drill because otherwise they will not stay together. Of course it's possible that none of this matters at all and the "rules" are a gag. Of the amps I have built some have hum more than others but I can't say I have ever traced the problem to filament wiring.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Some examples of Trainwreck Express type heaters loose wiring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLT
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

If you look at Hiwatt's wiring, you'll find straight leads to the outputs, twisted to the preamps. Some of the preamps have to have less than Blencowe wiring (Hi Merlin), but they cross tightly at right angles.

I do it Merlin's way (which is a pain), but it's the first stage that matters, especially in a high-gain amp. That's why some amps go DC for the first stage only.

If you bias the heaters up to 50 VDC or so, none of this matters. SE outputs can hum, but biasing them up kills that, too.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have grown to prefere biasing up the whole string to going the full DC route!
I find that the high level of DC current when running on 12 volts does change the responce of a preamp tube, no comments so far on output tubes!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I did this a while back. I always keep a spool of bare 22ga and 20ga. I chucked 2 pieces of 22ga real tight, in essence making a very straight piece of wire. Do that again, and you have your two straight, parallel wires. This amp was totally quiet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

Smokebreak wrote:I did this a while back. I always keep a spool of bare 22ga and 20ga. I chucked 2 pieces of 22ga real tight, in essence making a very straight piece of wire. Do that again, and you have your two straight, parallel wires. This amp was totally quiet.
Cool. Why not do that all of the time?
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I actually don't mind doing heaters the traditional way. I'm sure I could hone my technique with this parallel method, but it does involve some twisting of the socket pins, and I wasn't entirely keen on that. Probably overly cautious though.
The next step would be to use standard insulated wire, and not twist them, AND not even worry about making them parallel. I think it was the Kitty Hawk amps that did that, maybe? My estimation is that it's more important to keep signal wires away from the AC, no matter how you do the heaters
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

For ac heaters, Merlin's suggest lead dress arrangement seems the clear way forward http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html
Structo

Post by Structo »

Smokebreak wrote: My estimation is that it's more important to keep signal wires away from the AC, no matter how you do the heaters
I agree
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I've often toyed with the idea of the Soldano type heaters. I dislike the idea of wire without insulation. I'd want to sleeve it between the sockets. That makes it look like too much work.

As for the loose loop designs, I will go one better. I've got a Gibson Minuteman c. 1966 that uses no twist at all. They simply ran the wire from socket to socket on the chassis floor and it works fine.

I am thinking the more stuff, the higher gain, you have to pay more attention.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I don't mind doing heaters but I haven't built many amps.

It can be tedious trying to fit those wires in the holes of the pins.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!