Solo Boost Methods

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Solo Boost Methods

Post by Littlewyan »

What do you guys use when it comes to your solo? How do you boost the volume so you stand out?

I should point out that this is just for single channel amps where you cant switch to another channel for a boost.
sliberty

Re: Solo Boost Methods

Post by sliberty »

Most often, I use my guitar's volume pot for this. Turn it down for chords, turn it up for solos. I also work the tone pot quite a bit, making my solos warmer, and my chords brighter.

But, sometimes, I will use a clean boost for that little extra something as well. I prefer an AMZ MOSFET Booster because of the high input impedance, resulting in a more transparent, and slightly sparkly sound.
dkochan

Post by dkochan »

Yep, clean boost (MOSFET) or treble boost (Rangemaster-type).

A Klon clone if I am feeling really spunky. Really set up as more of a boost than an OD but it's definitely adding some dirt, too.

Really depends on the amp and where I am running it. If I am already pushing it pretty hard with the guitar volume full up, it's got to be the treble boost or the klone (adding a bit more treble and a little attitude) or there just isn't going to be that much of a difference. With a straight boost the front end will just compress a bit more and that might be the opposite of what you need to be heard.

Backed off more on the amp, though, and the straight boost can be just the ticket.

It's really often more of an EQ game than a volume game. You want to put a hump into your guitar's voice where you were leaving room before for vocals or keyboards or whatnot in the mix. Take up some of that empty space and you will sound and feel louder. Just remember to give it back when you're done. :P
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Littlewyan wrote:What do you guys use when it comes to your solo? How do you boost the volume so you stand out?

I should point out that this is just for single channel amps where you cant switch to another channel for a boost.
Just add another master and switch it with a relay ....
xtian

Post by xtian »

dkochan wrote:It's really often more of an EQ game than a volume game
Totally true. In a busy mix, the two best strategies I have for being heard clearly:

1. EHX Soul Food pedal. Cheap, good value. Said to sound like Klon Centaur. Has a pronounced mid boost. Makes me sound like Dickey Betts.

2. Cocked wah. Set and leave angry. Cuts through.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

For a while there I was running a 50w amp and switching in a 6v6 express for solos with an a/b/y. Now that's a solo boost. :shock:
I got sick of carrying around that rig so I went back to my trusty mxr micro amp . Lately I've been kicking in an EQD Speaker Cranker along with the mxr and that's nasty and loud.
I'm real surprised there aren't more modern amps that employ Mark's suggestion. Unless you're running an amp out of headroom, it's always effective, and relatively cheap. If you are, then you're gonna need a second amp anyways.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Is all of ths still effective if you have a 2nd guitarist though?

Smokebreak - Thats extreme. Wish I could run two amps :P.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Having a second guitarist can be problematic. I too am in the guitar volume control crowd, at least on my higher gain amps. I don't have the strongest voice in the world, so I turn down quite a bit while I am singing. It works well for a three-piece. I have never had another guitar player that would work the volume down in unison with me, but it has been a long time since I played in a band with a second guitar player.

Lately, I have been using a Princeton 6G2, stock. For solos, I use a Fulltone fulldrive to dial in the right amount of boost. but I am getting where I could use just about any pedal as long as it is not too raspy. Maybe it is time for me to look at a clean boost pedal.
harleyboy2112

Post by harleyboy2112 »

A trick I use quite often is to lift the ground from the tone stack partially or completely.
In one of the amps I designed I use a relay and pot to give a footswitchable & adjustable amount of boost. It works great.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

rangemaster (set to give a hint of mild treble boost) and/or a Hotcake (set to give a bit more mid boost loudness/grind) or guitar volume and/or rhythm/lead channel switching
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Ah lifting the tonestack, thats what old Mesa Boogies did when you engaged the lead boost switch.

I currently use a TW Express as my main amp so I could try just lowering the volume control for gain. There is a second guitarist in my band which makes things a bit problematic. Not to mention we also have a sax player and a synth player!

I currently have an attenuator with a switchable boost but the attenuator gets too hot with my amp. So I'm going to build another but was trying to find a way around installing a switchable boost with the new one.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I have my Express configured with a split plate load because I find a stock Express to be too gainy and too compressed for my taste. But for those that like a full blown Express, the split plate load can be used as a solo boost (if it is setup on a switch). Level of split can be adjusted to taste. I suppose you could even setup a rotary switch with several sets of resistors, implementing different levels of split. Hmmmm.....
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Thats also a good idea if you run the amp fairly clean as if its already distorted then you'll just add more gain. However sometimes that can be enough to get you through the mix as obv the tone will change as well.

I often wonder how others cope with their Express amps being so loud. The Airbrake settings when used with an 8Ohm load only go down to 12dB before you're on the bedroom setting. There is no way a soundman would allow you to play that loud in a pub! I think I cut about 15dB before my soundman was happy at my last gig and even then he thought it was too loud!!!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Volume control on the guitar plus your choice of pedasl . I would have thought with an express you wouldn't have a problem getting loud enough!!

set your rhythm sound with your gtr volume at 6 and you'll have plenty of room to boost just from the gtr and if you really need to OD kick in a pedal.

bear in mind the rest of the band need to be listening to whoever is soloing and adjust THEIR volume accordingly too, same when someone is singing.
Sometimes it's not actually about level, it's about space. That's usually a sign of a good band/musician :)

Marcus
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

None of the following has much to do with implementing a boost.

I won't fight my way to the top anymore. Been there, done that. It's stupid. If guys in my bands can't make space, then one of two things happens, they get replaced or I get replaced. Playing at the proper volume in all situations is priority one.

On a side note, I have noticed that it has gotten worse with the increase in the use of hearing protection. Somehow the volume reduction leads to an almost complete lack of listening. I cringe when I hear the following, " I only need to hear the bass(drums)". It seems to always come from either the bass or drummer. :evil: I find I can only make music with guys that LISTEN.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.