Speakers in Cab: Aim Straight Ahead?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The New Steve H

Speakers in Cab: Aim Straight Ahead?

Post by The New Steve H »

I want to take a couple of 12" 16-ohm speakers and make an 8-ohm cabinet. I already have them sitting in my garage.

Question: should I aim both speakers straight ahead or angle them out slightly?

Also thinking about finding a way to get the cabinet off the ground. I think it's a big boo-boo to have an amp aimed at your knees instead of your ears. I have a store-bought stand. Maybe I should just go with that.

I also considered making two smaller cabs (1 speaker each) and paralleling them with a cable, so I could adjust their positions independently. Too much?
Relax. It's SUPPOSED to smoke a little.
pdf64

Re: Speakers in Cab: Aim Straight Ahead?

Post by pdf64 »

Are you aware of the V front Watkins Dominator http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps ... domin.html
Great spread of sound but rather awkward to handle.
And it still doesn't get vertical spread.
2 cabs may be the most flexible solution, but might take up more room on stage etc.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

A speaker on each side of the stage is the way to if your band mates do not mind, and if you use a stereo chorus then two amps sounds killer!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I have a few BF Fenders with tilt-back legs. I am not crazy about having them aimed right at my ears because I can't hear the rest of the band very well, but we don't play very loud (anymore!). Also, the amps seem quite a bit brighter when aimed directly at me. To each their own.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

The New Steve H wrote:I think it's a big boo-boo to have an amp aimed at your knees instead of your ears. I have a store-bought stand. Maybe I should just go with that.
Box shape speakers, easy to make. Sling yours on the stand & good to go.

OR

Floor wedge, like a monitor speaker. Angles involved: tougher build. Build one, OK. I think 2 would be better, aim 'em at your ears. Funny t'ing, ears are more sensitive to what's coming from the front of your head so this helps keep the volume down on stage. Might look funny to have a mic pointed at what looks like your vocal wedge but so what, your FOH mixer will be able to put guitar in the mix for once. And yes - I've done this, works great! OTOH there are some guitarists who just have to set up the "traditional" way even though they admit the wedge rig works better. :roll: go figure.
down technical blind alleys . . .
davent

Post by davent »

Bill Fitzmaurice has a cab kit or plans for a two-by that has the speakers angled back and towards each other. Was also covered in an issue of AudioXpress but i can't recall the issue.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/XFCabs.html

dave
rp

Post by rp »

Hmm, I've never plugged into a V-Front Super or GA-79 and never even seen a Watkins real or fake, but I wonder if v-fronts were at all useful why they never caught on over the last at least 70 years? Not even as a niche product. Something's not happening there.

That said, if I could build something as pretty as those Watkins Dominators in the link or as badass cool as a v-front super I wouldn't hesitate no matter how non-useful.
davent

Post by davent »

rp wrote:Hmm, I've never plugged into a V-Front Super or GA-79 and never even seen a Watkins real or fake, but I wonder if v-fronts were at all useful why they never caught on over the last at least 70 years? Not even as a niche product. Something's not happening there.

That said, if I could build something as pretty as those Watkins Dominators in the link or as badass cool as a v-front super I wouldn't hesitate no matter how non-useful.
I would think a great deal to do with the complexity and added expense of the build versus a squared up box.