Horizontal Tube Mounting

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChrisM

Horizontal Tube Mounting

Post by ChrisM »

I am building a preamp where the tubes will be inside a covered 3" high chassis. For this reason the tubes have to be mounted horizontally to make them fit and also to facilitate easy wiring.

Does anyone know a source for L brackets or a horizontal mounting assembly? I have two 9 pin tubes. They can be mounted on one bracket or each on a separate bracket, I'm not picky.

I have not been able to find anything online. L brackets I found at my local hardware store don't work and are made out of steel (?) so not easy to modify.

Thanks!
Phil_S

Re: Horizontal Tube Mounting

Post by Phil_S »

Your local big box hardware store sells flat and L shaped aluminum. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1 ... /204273989 I think you can buy it in 3' lengths, not so expensive.

If you have an old fashioned Ace Hardware, they usually sell flat stock brass in short lengths and adequate widths. You might do a lot better with that.

Good luck.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I've got some scrap aluminum I'd give you for shipping costs. Plenty wide enough and easy to bend.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

In my Dumblelator I used a perforated garolite board and two L-brackets from hardware store.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

Apexjr used to have 90 degree 9 pin sockets.
Ask if he still has any.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Phil_S wrote:Your local big box hardware store sells flat and L shaped aluminum. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1 ... /204273989 I think you can buy it in 3' lengths, not so expensive.

If you have an old fashioned Ace Hardware, they usually sell flat stock brass in short lengths and adequate widths. You might do a lot better with that.

Good luck.
Couldn't find that on the Canadian Home Depot website, I'm sure they have it though. I will check next time I am there. Thanks

galtjunk wrote:Apexjr used to have 90 degree 9 pin sockets.
Ask if he still has any.
Emailed Steve. Not the quality I like, don't look very good. I will have to fashion my own mounting bracket to use my Beltons.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Ended up getting some 1/8" thick aluminum that was 1/5" wide and making my own L-brackets for horizontal mounting.

Made two, one for each channel in the preamp I am building. Fair bit of work, but I think they turned out alright.

[IMG:1024:1365]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/kurtlives/DFB7BC2E-5E19-4D31-B754-F507EDCCBCF2.jpg[/img]

[IMG:1024:1365]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/kurtlives/F5187162-AEE0-4A74-A49E-079E384DABEA.jpg[/img]
boots

Post by boots »

Keep in mind that some tubes don't like to be mounted horizontally. And some need to be oriented a certain way if they are mounted horizontally. Check the data sheet.

I know it is fine to do with some tubes, but I just hate to do it because I feel like the tubes are more fragile in that orientation.

That being said, I have a Champ clone I use on my bench and the tubes sit horizontally because it is not in a cabinet, and so far, no problems.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

boots wrote:Keep in mind that some tubes don't like to be mounted horizontally. And some need to be oriented a certain way if they are mounted horizontally. Check the data sheet.

I know it is fine to do with some tubes, but I just hate to do it because I feel like the tubes are more fragile in that orientation.

That being said, I have a Champ clone I use on my bench and the tubes sit horizontally because it is not in a cabinet, and so far, no problems.
Thanks for the heads up but yeah the tube I am (12B4) using is fine, I checked before.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Nice and strong Chris.
As far as orientation spec goes, guitar amps tend to abuse tubes anyway.
They're a consumable.
:D
Why Aye Man
davent

Post by davent »

Hi Chris, I've always just cut small 'L' brackets from 1 1/2" "L" channel (Home Depot maybe Cdn Tire) and used those to hold a piece of garolite or the like. One "L" back and front.

[IMG:800:600]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc30 ... 5e2373.jpg[/img]
dave
Structo

Post by Structo »

Hey Chris,

Long time no hear!

Good to see you still are into amps. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

davent wrote:Hi Chris, I've always just cut small 'L' brackets from 1 1/2" "L" channel (Home Depot maybe Cdn Tire) and used those to hold a piece of garolite or the like. One "L" back and front.

dave
Hey Dave, it's been a while!

I always like seeing your amps, that one looks great, very neat construction method you have. What is that amp, SE with tonestack and power scaling?
davent wrote:Hey Chris,

Long time no hear!

Good to see you still are into amps. :D
It's been a while!
Still into amps but more hi-fi amps and electronics these days. The 50W/100W guitar amps have been replaced with acoustic guitars and hi-fi (vinyl related) electronics the last few years.

Looking forward to building this little preamp :)
davent

Post by davent »

Hello Chris, Good to see you 'round. 6U8 into a 6AQ5, power scaling and single tone control. Savage Croaker that was a communal effort sussed out at Wattkins.

dave
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

galtjunk wrote:Apexjr used to have 90 degree 9 pin sockets.
Ask if he still has any.
I found 2 more of these in stock