HoSo56 & 5879 OD

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DenDanger

Re: HoSo56 & 5879 OD

Post by DenDanger »

On the contrary, looks plenty neat to me. A lot of stuff to pack into a chassis.
Nice looking build.

Denny
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Thanx, I feel like a piker after seeing some of the builds displayed here. Some of them are just art.
I tried wiring like we wired aircraft, neat wiring bundles of minimal length tied up neatly with waxed lacing. Didn't work for me.
Loose, sloppy, random looking wiring can be so much quieter.
I try to follow the short grid, long plate, 90°, hot away from low level wiring guidelines, though it looks a little chaotic.
I'll mount the shape control on the rear apron.
What kind of tubes are you using? I used the last of my RCA 12ay7's and have only JJ versions. Have to get some NOS from Brent Jessie.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Oops, above was meant for 10thTx. Sorry.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I have mostly Sylvania, RCA and GE 5879's.

I use a 5751 in V2. 5879's are in V1 and V3.

V4 is either a modern EH12AY7 or a reverse JJ 12DW7 (I alternate those and slightly prefer the 12AY7).

V5 currently is a 5751 but I also use Tung-Sol Re-issue 12AX7 in the LTPI. The 5751 also tend to be Sylvania, RCA or GE. (I think)

I am using Tung-Sol Re-issue 5881's.

I am actually using an Emminence Delta Pro 12 speaker with this amp but an Emminence Cannabis Rex sounds quite good with it to.

With respect, 10thtx
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Rapidly running out of room. Efx send and return have to go on the back also. Looking for a low noise area to mount the relays and attendant supply. Lots of grease needed when shoehorning into a princeton chassis. Need to order more pots and miscellaneous parts. I'm using push/pull pots to switch, saving a little panel space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Someone on another forum is trying to build one in a small chassis, so I drew up a HoSo56-OD minimalist max for them. It eliminates pots and switches.

On my amp, the FX 100ka send pot is almost always at 12 noon. The FX 250ka return pot is almost always at 12 noon. You could measure those pots and simply use a fixed resistor to ground instead. I definitely would keep the FX Level pot.

The PPIMV could be eliminated. I have mine set at around 3:00 (clock dial) the majority of the time OR at full volume.

I don't adjust the mid pot very much. I do some but usually between 9:00 to 12 noon. Rarely to 2:00.

As previously mentioned, you could use a mini-toggle with paralleled resistors for the shape pot OR use a fixed resistor.

You could eliminate relay switches for mid-boost and plus switch and use mini-toggles. And then just keep the relay footswitch for clean/OD.

Just some ideas for you. With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I'm sort of hesitant to share this sound clip. I am having problems with my left hand and really can't do much vibrato with it so the playing is even a notch down from my normal mediocre playing. However, I said I would try to post a clip, so here it is.

No pedals other than a delay pedal set so slight that you could barely tell it was on. I did add some delay and EQ in the mix.

The amp itself was set with a reasonably clean tone with the OD channel engaged. One can get considerably more overdrive then you're hearing on this clip.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

With respect, 10thtx +
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Good for the song, but a little too much delay for me to get a good idea of what the amp is doing. It might not be too representative anyway, as I will be running cathode biased 6V6's and likely without feedback. Thanks for going to the trouble of recording the clip though, I appreciate it. Hopefully when I'm done I can rig a clip to share. But be warned, my playing is in the semi-skilled category, and I'm the founding member of the "Thousands of dollars in equipment and 13 cents of talent club".
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Yeah, I don't think either the recording or playing was very good & certainly falls short of how good the amp sounds in person. It captured a little of the tone but not much of the touch sensitivity or the sustain the amp is capable of live.

I will look forward to hearing your review of your amp! And I would love to hear a soundclip of your amp with no NFB and 6V6's. I think that could be a very cool tone!

With respect, 10thtx
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I like the harmonic coherence (insufficient bullshit term) that the lack of feedback provides. In all my builds I use it only if I have to to prevent oscillation. And then, the minimal amount that's needed. It's lively and inspiring, even at lower levels. If you have a pretty clean build, try removing it. You may have to reduce gain a little to keep from over driving the P.I. as the 10 to 20 dB that feedback stole is returned.
I have an amp I designed 3 years ago that my friend Geoff Guthrie tested on youtube. Here is the clip: https://youtu.be/zS5LGzHfTzk. The audio isn't the best as he recorded it using the mic on his ipad. The first minute is the warm channel, then he switches to the hot channel at about 1:14.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Sorry 10thTx, the link is funky. You can get it by searching youtube with the terms " Geoff Guthrie testing prototype amp".
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Greetings 10thTx,
I have a question about the effects return. As wired, it looks like the effect control, when minimized, will ground out all signal. Did you mean to have the clean path go from the 470k||.001 directly to the grid? Instead of the other side of the 200k||500p?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

IF I am understanding your question, yes the return pot is capable of sending all the signal to ground.

And if you look at the chassis photo at the bottom of the first page of this thread and compare with the schematic, you will see that the schematic is actually correct and the .001/470k does not go directly to the grid. The .001/470k goes to the return pot & 200k/500p junction.

With respect, 10thtx
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Thanx for the clarification 10thTx, I'm still wiring away. Can't wait!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Really looking forward to hearing a review of the amp.

I wonder if it would be possible to get your friend Geoff Guthrie to do a video of the amp. That could be a very cool demo!

One thing I want to mention is that I have somewhat higher voltages on the cathode followers then is recommended. So, be sure to check your voltages on those. A simple fix would be to change one dropping resistor in the B+ rail if needed or use a 5V4 or 5Y3 rectifier since you're using 6V6's with yours.

With respect, 10thtx