thin 3 wire power cord?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaysg

thin 3 wire power cord?

Post by jaysg »

I've got a 1939 Rickenbacher model 59 in and I don't want to take a Greenlee to the power cord hole. Any favorite replacements? The original is about 0.22" x 0.11". I have a good selection of grommets...not sure I've ever worked on something nearly 80 years old!
Structo

Re: thin 3 wire power cord?

Post by Structo »

I would use a cable lock style cable restraint.

If you want it to look stock, use the proper sized drill and grommet.

The grommet would hide any drilling.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
rp

Post by rp »

1939 Rickenbacher model 59
The grommet would hide any drilling.
No drilling, no hiding. I wouldn't even change the power cord, you are probably just going to play it around the house right? I know that's the wrong answer, so shoot me.

18awg 3way should fit in there fine. Maybe something like this:

http://eu.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Wire-Pr ... nd&FS=True

Mouser forces me to the EU site. Not sure what happens there, if no go, search "gland" -> Wire & Cable -> Wire Protection & Management, maybe something will fit, otherwise grommet, or, sadly bare hole with a knot, some extra heat shrink, check for wear every now and then - but no drilling. And save the old cord.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I believe Target carries an 18AWG extension cord with molded plug in a round wire format for <$5. You can also find them for free at any IT department, which should have a bin full of brand new IEC inlet wires they've collected over the years during equipment rotation. Snip off the end and, as rp says, use the right size strain relief and you could well get by with no drilling. I wouldn't drill it.

An 18AWG computer cord is a hair over 1/4", maybe about 7mm in diameter.

You may have to strip the outer jacket to get a smaller strain relief to work, in which case you'll have to do something clever or very precise to make sure the outer jacket is giving full coverage outside the chassis.

If the strain relief is too much material, use a plain rubber grommet. The grommet takes up much less volume than a strain relief clamp. On the inside, make a knot with the wire and then use a chunky zip tie next to the chassis. The zip tie makes an OK substitute for a strain relief (not the best) and the knot is insurance if the zip tie fails. I'd zip tie the outside, too, to keep the wire stable so an inward push doesn't dislodge the grommet.

I would not try power supply wire against a naked metal hole, not even with extra heat shrink. IMO, this is a formula for something you don't want to happen.
xtian

Post by xtian »

In times of need, I have carefully shaved some of the black outer coat of the power wire off, in order to get it to fit inside the existing grommet. Did not need to cut all the way thru the insulation, just gave it a circumferential weight loss program.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sixstringer

Post by sixstringer »

S-W124 from AES
I use these all the time, they are thin and fit a small strain relief, just clip off the female end and wire it up. plus, they are 12' long.