Coax (shielded) cable

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pula58

Coax (shielded) cable

Post by pula58 »

I have a batch of RG 187...the inner conductor is SO thin...makes me worried about long term reliability.

What are you folks using for Coax that has a reasonably low capacitance per foot, but also has an inner conductor that is robust.

I had some RG 187 from Apex Jr..loved it..

Then I got another batch...and on this batch the inner conductor seems extremely thin/frail.
Stevem

M

Post by Stevem »

You should not need anything more than 22 ga to use within a amp and with the currents involved .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pula58

Re: Coax (shielded) cable

Post by pula58 »

the inner conductor of this coax is way thinner than 22 AWG. I am concerned about reliability in terms of mechanical reliability, not current limits.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

What I'm finding says it's good for 1200V. http://www7.taosnet.com/ebear/coaxlist.html The wire size of the inner conductor is listed as .012" http://www.timesmicrowave.com/products/ ... ads/54.pdf which is roughly the size of 28AWG. 22AWG is .0254" diameter.

In general, I dislike working with the inner conductor on coax because it doesn't hold a twist and is difficult to solder. It just doesn't play nice. Am I using the wrong stuff?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I like RG-316. The PTFE insulation make it very easy to work with. Approx 1/8" diameter. Silver plated braid and center conductor. Very easy to solder and you will not melt any insulation.

[img:1024:768]http://sluckeyamps.com/VAC15/14.jpg[/img]
labb

Post by labb »

I use RG-174. Never had any problems with it.
pula58

Post by pula58 »

the inner conductor of this coax is way thinner than 22 AWG. I am concerned about reliability in terms of mechanical reliability, not current limits.
davent

Post by davent »

Secure the cable to the chassis so it can't flop about and there should be no strain on the soldered joints.

And... PTFE coax like pictured, is a joy to work with, i've some Teflon/Kapton that's terrific.Very small outer diameter, maybe 26awg inner conductor. Been using for years, never an issue.

dave
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

pula58 wrote:I have a batch of RG 187...the inner conductor is SO thin...makes me worried about long term reliability.

What are you folks using for Coax that has a reasonably low capacitance per foot, but also has an inner conductor that is robust.

I had some RG 187 from Apex Jr..loved it..

Then I got another batch...and on this batch the inner conductor seems extremely thin/frail.
I find that odd
The RG 187 A/U is mil spec and should be pretty close to the same.
I do stock other numbers and also 24 and 20 Awg single conductor
Shielded too.
andresound

Post by andresound »

I have used this cable as well. This a great sounding cable. The center conductor IS thin!! :shock: However, I cable tie and secure cable on something. There is a 75 ohm version (RG179) and it is thicker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
UsableThought

Post by UsableThought »

What is wanted for wiring an amp is not called coax, but "shielded hookup wire." When I think of coax, it's for things like carrying an FM or cable TV signal for relatively long distances, vs. the short distances required in an amp chassis - for coax the inner insulation is typically a heavy plastic one-piece surround; and there are probably other differences as well. See Wikipedia:
Coaxial cable differs from other shielded cable used for carrying lower-frequency signals, in that the dimensions of the cable are controlled to give a precise, constant conductor spacing, which is needed for it to function efficiently as a transmission line.
Anyway, seems a simple problem to solve - if you're not happy w/ the wire you're using, buy some that you know will be satisfactory. I had some braided shield wire I had used for a wiring harness in a guitar - okay stuff except the braid was naked, so I was having to add heatshrink, very laborious. So I went to Digikey - like Mouser they make it easy to filter for whatever you want, e.g. PTFE insulation, etc:

Product Index > Cables, Wires > Single Conductor Cables (Hook-Up Wire)

I ended up choosing a very nice & quite inexpensive PVC-jacketed 22AWG shielded wire - and MUCH better prices than you can get at TubeDepot or Small Bear or wherever:

https://www.digikey.com/product-search/ ... 2030-00342
FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 »

I've had good results with RG-188/U. The white Teflon stuff from Belden.

joesatch

Post by joesatch »

I am on the hunt for this cable. Only can find it on Amazon for $240. Anyone know where i can buy Belden RG-188A/U ? I might connect the shield to my V1 plate so it needs to be serious cable to be safe over 1000v rating.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

joesatch

Post by joesatch »

i saw that. It's not Belden at least it doesn't appear to be. Can it withstand 1000v?