Phase Inverter Distortion

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Phase Inverter Distortion

Post by Littlewyan »

If in amp, say a Marshall, a LTPI is used and the value of the grid leaks going to the power valves is lowered, the LTPI will distort more. Why is that? As I believe thats why a PPIMV is effective, because as you lower the signal to the power valves it will make the PI distort more.
Stevem

M

Post by Stevem »

It's a long answer it would seem!
Head to the Aiken amps page and read the" designing long tailed pair "white page!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pdf64

Re: Phase Inverter Distortion

Post by pdf64 »

The power tube grid leaks are effectively in parallel with the LTP plates and the LTP plate resistors.
So as the total impedance decreases, the LTP gain and max potential output voltage swing will also decrease.
jjman

Post by jjman »

It is increasing the "load." Similar to increasing the load in a truck. Poorer acceleration and deceleration.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Also the type of output tube is an aspect to consider in the design. With higher-power output tubes (typically hotter tubes running/designed for higher current), the grid leak resistance has to be lower to allow sufficient electron replenishment to the grid. So if you're running a KT88 (say), you will want a grid leak of 47k to 100k, compared to 220k-470k for a 6V6. As the others have noted, the grid leak resistance of any stage is in parallel (i.e. in terms of the Thevenin equivalent circuit) with the plate resistance(s) of the prior gain stage. This is why amps using multiple KT88s or 6550s generally need a highish-current buffer/driver stage (like a 12AU7 with a 22k to 47k load) between the PI and the output tubes, so that the grid leak resistor for the latter doesn't sink too much of the available driving current (across the impedance bridge between the phase inverter/driver and the output tube grid).
Last edited by tubeswell on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

It all makes perfect sense now. Thanks guys!