Isopropyl Alcohol - Good/Bad?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Isopropyl Alcohol - Good/Bad?

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello, up until now I have been using 99% IPA for cleaning up unwanted flux residue and pretty much anything else that needs cleaning but I have been reading about it and now I wonder if that is a good idea. I guess IPA absorbs water from the air just sitting in the container and so my 99% may be far less than that. I do use a good quality rosin core solder that has no clean flux but after repeated soldering the same area (replace or change a component) the flux turns dark brown and apparently that is not so good either. Maybe a good quality Flux cleaner is the better way to go?
CW
chief mushroom cloud

Re: Isopropyl Alcohol - Good/Bad?

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

carburetor cleaner
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

AFAIK isopropyl will stabilize at 90%. I've never seen 99%. It evaporates quickly. I doubt it will damage anything. If I have messy residue, sometimes I use some on a rag or a q-tip to clean up. I don't use a lot of it. It's cheap. It does the job. A bottle lasts a long time.

It also removes Sharpie from most surfaces without much risk of damage.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Hello, up until now I have been using 99% IPA for cleaning up unwanted flux residue and pretty much anything else that needs cleaning but I have been reading about it and now I wonder if that is a good idea. I guess IPA absorbs water from the air just sitting in the container and so my 99% may be far less than that. I do use a good quality rosin core solder that has no clean flux but after repeated soldering the same area (replace or change a component) the flux turns dark brown and apparently that is not so good either. Maybe a good quality Flux cleaner is the better way to go?
CW
I use the 99% IPA (used for fiber optic cleaning) as well and IHMO you are worried about nothing. If you are really that OCD about it, store it in a mason jar.....LOL!

TM
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

I use it for cleaning shit off electrical boards and PCBs. Works great for me.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

The 90% stuff will suck the water out of your finger tips...use an acid brush and gloves.