Vintage Epiphone combo

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andresound

Vintage Epiphone combo

Post by andresound »

Pulled the trigger on this yesterday. Still need to collect. It was owned by an 80 year old widow. 1961 Epiphone EA-10RV, 1x 15 inch combo. Unit works and seems to have the wrong output tubes (looks like a 6L6), but one is missing!! and recto (looks like a GZ34). Some work has been done in past.

Any info would be appreciated, I.e. Schematic etc.

If this is a PP (25w with 6v6's), how can it still produce sound from just one output tube. (I requested a video demo), Or has this been modified to SE?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
Stevem

M

Post by Stevem »

I could not find a schemstic for it on line , but I will look thru my stack over the weekend for you.
Seing as the amp has a 15" driver I would take a educated guess that 6L6GC tubes are correct for the amp and I can see that it is a Cathode biased output stage.

I can also see that the 2 yellow filters and the Orange one still need to get swapped out for new ones!

The amp can play with just one output tube and will do so in almost a Class A mode until a high enough volume is reached and then it will distort and really sound like crap, but that being said you should not really have it on with only 1 output tube in it as both the filament voltage and the amps DC voltage level will be a tad too high without that other tube in it.

For now it would be better to run it with two 6V6 tubes than just one 6L6.

That's a nice find and I bet you will love it when it's up to snuff!
Oh, also that speaker if it's still good is worth over 200 bucks all on its own!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Re: Vintage Epiphone combo

Post by martin manning »

That is an odd one. I think it is basically an EA-10 Deluxe, which does have a GZ-34 and 2x 6L6, plus one more tube for the reverb. A p-p amp will make sound with one output tube missing, the output waveform is just clipped on one side when the remaining tube cuts-off.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I have the scheme for the EA10 Deluxe, and will post later.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I love old combo amps and this one looks like fun.

Mark
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

martin manning wrote:Link to EA-10 Scheme: http://bmamps.com/Schematics/gibson/ea_10-deluxe.pdf
Well, now I don't have to :):
andresound

Post by andresound »

Thanks for info guys. Martin Thank you for the schem. On epiphonewiki.com there is reference to a Delux EA10 and EA-10VR. Both are listed at 25w, 2x 12ax7 + 1x 12AU7 (PI), 1x 5AR4 and 2x 6V6. I don't know what tube would be used for the reverb of the RV model.

I do not want to risk local couriers, so I will probably only have the amp in my grubby paws in about a month when I get a friend to transport it the needed 600km.

Looking forward to this project. Will keep searching for a Schem that includes the reverb circuit.

Will post soon
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

If epiphonewiki is correct about this wanting 2x6V6, this probably matches closely to the BA-15RV, but with a 15" speaker and 12AX7s instead of 6EU7s. PI is cathodyne, so the reverb is driven off half a 12AX7 (V2b maybe) and recovered with other half of the 12AU7. According to Blue Book, Gibson only shipped 76 of that model during its lifetime from 1961-1963, so it's a rare bird.
andresound

Post by andresound »

This is what I have found. Apparently, only 76 units were shipped of the RV model
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andresound

Post by andresound »

The RV model I have, has 4 pre tubes.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The Wiki page seems to confirm that the EA-10 and EA-10RV are basically the same amp save for the reverb. Note the Wiki says "2x 6V6GB," a type which never existed, AFAIK. The EA-10 schematic shows 6L6GB, which is more likely to be correct.

I think Firestorm is onto something with the BA-15RV, though. It uses a 12AU7 cathodyne PI, which would free up half of the EA-10's paraphase PI tube to drive the tank. The 4th tube in the EA-10RV would then probably be a 12AX7, with one side feeding the 12AU7 reverb driver and the other for the reverb recovery as shown in the BA-15RV.

What I would do is look at the PI and see if it is a cathodyne (and in the picture you posted it looks like it is), then trace the rest of the reverb circuit out for yourself and see if it matches the BA-15RV.
andresound

Post by andresound »

Thank you Martin. This will be my first experience with this type of PI and a reverb circuit. So some research and learning is on the cards.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

It'll be an interesting ptoject for sure. To confirm the output tube type, measure the OT primary impedance. For 6L6 it will be around 4k, and for 6V6 it will be around 8k.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I am thinking the schematic is somewhat similar to the Gibson GA15-RVT. Ignore some of it that doesn't fit. Structurally, I'm thinking the number of tubes, etc. It might give some helpful hints.