andresound

Re: Vintage Epiphone combo

Post by andresound »

Thank you Phil
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
Stevem

H

Post by Stevem »

The resistance of the output tube cathode resistor may give a clue as to 6V6 or 6l6 as would what the filament voltage is with two 6L6 tubes in place .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
andresound

Post by andresound »

Surely you mean filament current?
andresound

Post by andresound »

Surely you mean filament current?
Stevem

M

Post by Stevem »

No, voltage!
If the amps PT was ment for 6V6 tubes and you put in 6l6 tubes that call for double the heater current then in all likelyhood you will find that with 6L6 tubes in place the HEATER VOLTAGE will be less than 6.3 !

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
andresound

Post by andresound »

Got it :oops:
andresound

Post by andresound »

More pics. It arrives in 10 days time :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

That amp looks to be cosmetically in decent condition for something that's over 50 years old! The Jensen speaker alone, if in good condition, has significant value, too. I'm not sure what you've got planned for the cosmetics. I'm thinking the grill cloth can be cleaned if done carefully and it would really spruce up the look. The tolex can be wiped with a damp rag first to see if it cleans up and then any tough spots with a weak solution of cold water and ammonia. I don't think I'd mess with the face plate too much for fear of damaging it and it looks pretty nice, as is. Maybe just clean the dirt off the face plate.

Gut shots? Would like to see the insides!

It's a very nice find!
andresound

Post by andresound »

Hi Phil,
My sentiments exactly. The grill cloth is probably the worst part. If I can find a similar cloth, I will will definitely replace this. My intension is to restore this amp. Gut shots are available earlier in the thread. I asked the seller to remove the back plate and take some pics. Some work has been done to it as you can see. Also the work was not very neat :(
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

The grill cloth doesn't look that bad in the pictures.

I'd try to clean the grill cloth in place. I don't think you have much to lose and much to gain. This what I'd do if it was mine. See if you can remove the front panel and remove the Epi badge, which is also very valuable. (Of course, remove the speaker from the baffle!) First vacuum, then try dabbing with a damp cloth. If you aren't making progress, try a spray-on foamy carpet cleaner -- not too much! Allow the cleaner to do it's work and then vacuum again -- this time with a wet vac. Then spray (spray bottle, not the hose!) with plain water to rinse, and use the wet vac again. If you leave the soap in it, it will attract more dirt.

I think I'd resort to replacing the cloth as a last resort. I think there is life left in it.

Good luck.

Phil
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

IMO, the grill clothe has style and class. I wouldn't mess with it at all. Original is good in my book.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

vibratoking wrote:IMO, the grill clothe has style and class. I wouldn't mess with it at all. Original is good in my book.
You have a good point. Sometimes I don't know when to leave well enough alone. At least we agree, he shouldn't try to change the grill cloth.
andresound

Post by andresound »

Ok dad!!! :lol: Will do the carpet cleaner trick Phil suggested
andresound

Post by andresound »

Received the amp today. This amp is in great condition for a 55 year old amp. The preamp tubes a marked "Gibson" and are 6EU7's and the PI is a 12AU7. The one remaining output tube is also marked Gibson and is a 6L6GC. This seems to suggest that this amp is essentially a GA77R.

Will get her home tonight and fire her up with a pair of tubes.

Really looking forward to this.
Stevem

B

Post by Stevem »

The OT in these amps have been known to go open so before you stuff in the outputs prove out that pin 3 in each socket has V+ on it!