Installing Strain Relief. Your method please!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Installing Strain Relief. Your method please!

Post by RockinRocket »

This is always the hardest part for me on any build. Getting that strain relief in the 1/2 hole for 18awg hardwired cord.

What is you method folks? Do you just give up and drill out the hole bigger? I'm trying to get it in a Valvestorm Metro chassis and its driving me nuts!
Stevem

Re: Installing Strain Relief. Your method please!

Post by Stevem »

There is a tool just for doing that , but if you or a buddy can weld you can make such out of a big needle nose !

I suffered for years until a happened across one at a old time tv repair guy yard sale , but I guess the company's that make the grommets can hook you up with the tool !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Before I bought the proper tool, I would use an 8" pair of slip joint pliers, set to the large jaw setting. You'll need to bend the cable off to the side a bit so you can get a straight shot onto the strain relief with the pliers. Squeeze tight, and rock the strain relief into position. It takes a bit of practice, but it can be done.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

There is also a strain relief that the cable slips thru, then it tightens as you thread a large plastic nut on the i3nside. The body 8s about 5 inches long, 4 of which stick out the back as a long coil around the pwr cable. It works well, but if used on a Fender style chassis, it has to be forced aside to screw.down the rear panel. I think they are made by Rotanium. I'll post a pic when I get back from Charlotte.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I cant believe I have forgotten of those as I have seen those lots of times. I will try those the next time. Probably couldn't be any easier. :lol:
xtian

Post by xtian »

The proper tool costs about $6 on eBay.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Here is a shot of the strain relief. In a fresh build, the.best option appears to be entering the chassis from the bottom. That way the extended coil will just face down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

The typical Heyco strain relief/ clamps have a hard time fitting a round hole. First, file the hole into a squarer shape. Doesn't have to be an exact square, hardly, just closer to what you've seen punched in so many chassis.

Slip-joint pliers aka "water pump" pliers do the rest. You may have to pull on the cut end of the cable a bit while squeezing the pliers to help persuade your strain relief into its hole.

Yes I know the "proper" tool is now available on Ebay for a couple bucks. Used to be a $100+ item thru Mouser & other parts houses. But I have 2 sizes of water pump pliers & so dam' many other tools, I'm not anxious to add to the collection. Besides, the water-pump pliers are so handy for many other uses.
down technical blind alleys . . .
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Here's another option that I've used on some projects. Cheap, easy and looks good but a bit industrial. Bigger than the Heyco though. Comes in several different sizes and even a 90° version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-NPT-Strain- ... xyUrZS5XXh
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I bought some from flea-bay (sp?). Works like a charm. Like these but not from there...

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/737-656 ... ipper.html
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

Buy the tool available on Ebay.
It will make life much easier.
jjman

Post by jjman »

I place the relief, with the cord in it, into my bench vise. I leave it tight for a while, rotating it a few times. Then I use vise grips to keep it closed and transfer it for installation.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
bal704

Post by bal704 »

I started drilling a 1/2" circular hole in the chassis next to the existing hole, and using the 1/2" strain relief that Valvestorm sells.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

I much prefer IEC power sockets to trailing cables off the chassis.
Of course getting big opening into a steel chassis is no fun either, but with a bit of elbow grease / dedicated tool, it's not a real problem.
davent

Post by davent »

sluckey wrote:Here's another option that I've used on some projects. Cheap, easy and looks good but a bit industrial. Bigger than the Heyco though. Comes in several different sizes and even a 90° version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-NPT-Strain- ... xyUrZS5XXh
$1.35 for the part, $15 plus shipping to Canada, there's always a catch.

dave