New Solid State FX loop source - $20

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Gainzilla

Re: New Solid State FX loop source - $20

Post by Gainzilla »

sonicmojo wrote: With some quality shielded cables to my effects, this works pretty well for me so far and I am happy with the results. Sounds the same to me jumpered or not so that is nice, IMHO.
Great to hear! I've updated the drawings on page 2 in accordance to your feedback.

Re: Voltage on the heatsink. Should I assume that's not normal? Given that heat sinks are typically attached to a chassis, I'm guessing not.

Cheers,

- Bryce
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Gainzilla wrote:
sonicmojo wrote: With some quality shielded cables to my effects, this works pretty well for me so far and I am happy with the results. Sounds the same to me jumpered or not so that is nice, IMHO.
Great to hear! I've updated the drawings on page 2 in accordance to your feedback.

Re: Voltage on the heatsink. Should I assume that's not normal? Given that heat sinks are typically attached to a chassis, I'm guessing not.

Cheers,

- Bryce
Not sure about the heatsink. It doesn't seem to affect anything. It was about 160V when I measured it. I tapped off the V1 supply which was about 200V.
---------
Bryan
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Gainzilla wrote: Re: Voltage on the heatsink. Should I assume that's not normal? Given that heat sinks are typically attached to a chassis, I'm guessing not.

Cheers,

- Bryce
It's normal, folks have burned up these types because they failed to read the datasheet and connected the tab directly to the chassis. It's not an issue to mount to a chassis, if you use a screw isolation bushing and mica backing plate.

TM
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

ToneMerc wrote:
Gainzilla wrote: Re: Voltage on the heatsink. Should I assume that's not normal? Given that heat sinks are typically attached to a chassis, I'm guessing not.

Cheers,

- Bryce
It's normal, folks have burned up these types because they failed to read the datasheet and connected the tab directly to the chassis. It's not an issue to mount to a chassis, if you use a screw isolation bushing and mica backing plate.

TM
Makes sense. I saw this type of regulator mounted like that in the power supply of an Egnater 65 Renegade and was wondering....
---------
Bryan
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I received mine from Jet City a couple of days ago... Have done more than look at it so far. Quick shipping though.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

This is what has my interest.... https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Kits/ ... :5973.html

Considerably more $ partially due to price but also due to overseas shipping if like me you aren't in europe. But if you click the "tech data' tab and download the PDF data sheet and scroll down to the end is shows it can be configured as a parallel loop, which at this point it the only thing i will try for now on because i have found that no matter how transparent a serial loop is, the effects are likely to change the tone even if the loop circuitry doesn't. they also have a mini tube loop that can be configured to parallel but who needs that when parallel, not to mention tube or not has nothing to do with tone quality for loops especially parallel. And a mini tube may be hard to source or expensive and is soldered in so no replacing it at a gig should it go south.

In any case if i could find any sort of review on it from someone who configured it parallel i might consider it. Otherwise not unless and until my financial situation improves.
Gainzilla

Re:

Post by Gainzilla »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 am I received mine from Jet City a couple of days ago... Have done more than look at it so far. Quick shipping though.
Hey, just out of curiosity, did you ever install this? How did it work out?

One interesting thing I'm not sure I mentioned, but this loop has a built in fixed depth circuit (which could obviously easily be made variable). Since it was designed for use with the 20HV, one new feature they wanted to add was depth. They used the existing layout for the 20H and just added the cap and resistor on this board. There are in/out pads to run your feedback to and from. Just FYI.

Cheers!
I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it!
dorrisant

Re: Re:

Post by dorrisant »

Gainzilla wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:23 pm Hey, out of curiosity, did you ever install this? How did it work out?

One interesting thing I'm not sure I mentioned, but this loop has a built in fixed depth circuit (which could obviously easily be made variable). Since it was designed for use with the 20HV, one new feature they wanted to add was depth. They used the existing layout for the 20H and just added the cap and resistor on this board. There are in/out pads to run your feedback to and from. Just FYI.

Cheers!
I just dug it out yesterday to consider installing in a build I just finished.

Is that what the TR and FR terminals used for? Any idea of how to use the Depth?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Gainzilla

Post by Gainzilla »

Looks like my timing is impeccable. :)

Yep, the TR/FR are indeed the depth circuit pads. It's really just the R/C in parallel on the board so you could just run your NFB to one of those pads, and then run from the other pad to your NFB resistor. The orientation of the pads shouldn't matter (unless you wire as a variable control. Then you would just need to connect your pot so that it gets bassier as you turn it up. Lol).

The Depth control resistor is a 100k. I think you could just pull that and connects 1M potin it's place for variable depth. The way it's implemented on the 20HV, there is an on/off switch.

I'm really interested to see how you get on with it.

Cheers,

- Bryce
I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it!
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

FYI this is now available on their online "Custom Shop" webpage...

http://www.ampfactory.com/ss-loop/

$29 but free shipping. Quite a bargain!

I just ordered one for a new build.
roberto

Post by roberto »

Do they still use the LND150 for the buffered send?
Kagliostro

Post by Kagliostro »

A vedere il circuito sembrerebbe di no

K
roberto

Post by roberto »

Well done.
First batch came out with LNDs and I wrote Gainzilla why dynamics were limited and how to improve them.
Actually most of the limits of the first batch were very similar to tube-town's one.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Roberto, can you explain what was wrong with the LND and how they fixed it?
roberto

Post by roberto »

Hi dorrisant,

i don't know how they fixed, I don't even know if they read my comments.
I remember I posted somewhere about the fact that lnd150s used with no voltage dividers before it, high value source resistors and low loads with voltage dividers on them, cannot guarantee sufficient clean swing for the loop.

Tube town loop still has a lnd150 and AFAIR some issues with strong signals.
Never bought one, I did it once with IRF820 for the source follower and lnd150 for the recovery stage.