Silicone Insulation v. Teflon?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The New Steve H

Silicone Insulation v. Teflon?

Post by The New Steve H »

Sorry for not posting in like a year. I was on the can.

Today for the first time I learned there is such a thing as silicone-insulated wire. I got all excited. I had to come here and ask: is this a good alternative to teflon?
Relax. It's SUPPOSED to smoke a little.
TUBEDUDE

Re: Silicone Insulation v. Teflon?

Post by TUBEDUDE »

The silicone wire I've encountered was thicker and certainly more pliable, but I prefer teflon.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Stevem

K

Post by Stevem »

If it's not solid core it will not hold its shape hardly at all!

I only use the new solid core stuff covered in flameproof coth to look vintage, and it comes in many colors.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

The New Steve H wrote:Sorry for not posting in like a year. I was on the can.

Today for the first time I learned there is such a thing as silicone-insulated wire. I got all excited. I had to come here and ask: is this a good alternative to teflon?
Dude, your gonna get hemorrhoids!!

Teflon wire... Sometimes used in meter leads. I have a Fluke megger with Teflon leads. Very flexible like Steve said... You could never get it to stop moving. In fact it would be very bad in an amp. With all of the vibration and any transport of an amp built with it would cause problems. The wire would wiggle enough that over the course of time it would break at the weak points... where it is stripped and soldered. I have seen this before in industrial application devices. One was a parts polisher with an offset weighted shaft vibration type thing. Had to repair connections for a couple of years until they let me rewire it. You could tap on the enclosure and see the wires wiggling. I'm sure it would be an eventual pain in the ass if used in an amp... Especially if it used to gig a lot.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
David Root

Post by David Root »

I've been using solid 20 ga Teflon hookup wire for years without problems. Maybe if you were to use 22 ga or smaller that would increase the risk of breakage, and stranded wire I use only occasionally on heater wiring.

The only prior objection to Teflon I've seen is Ken Fischer didn't like it because it sounded a tad harsh to him in Wrecks compared with non-irradiated PVC.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
The New Steve H

I'm asking about silicone. I already know about teflon. Just wondering if people use silicone in amps.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Sorry, Steve... Everywhere I typed teflon in the above, I meant to type silicon... My bad. :oops:
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I've got some silicone meter leads. I like them very much. I'd never wire an amp with the stuff. It remembers only that it's super flexible and it won't stay put. I think they make spark plug wires with the stuff. Those have the clamp/guide things to hold them where they belong.

Year on the can, hemi's for sure. Ouch. All of us older guys know what's in store for the younger ones. No one warned me about the first physical after I turned 50 :shock:
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I used silicone in few amps. Very easy to work with, doesn't keep shape that easy, but with a bit of persistence stays where you put it.
I didn't manage to find single core silicone insulated wire, as well. The insulation itself is quite thick.
And the one I got has voltage rating of 300V or 350V, so have to be careful where you put it, but overall I am quite happy with it.

Niki
The New Steve H

Phil_S wrote:Year on the can, hemi's for sure. Ouch. All of us older guys know what's in store for the younger ones. No one warned me about the first physical after I turned 50 :shock:
No probes for me. I've made the wise decision to risk death from cancer instead of being violated with a motorized camera.