Belton tube retainers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Belton tube retainers

Post by M Fowler »

Finally got the kind of Belton tube retainers type 2-2 EL34 I have been wanting for several years actually. The second photo below.

I talked to CEDistribution and Belton directly but neither one gave me answers to USA distributor for belton tube retainers other then the Belton bear claw type that I use in tubes down, ala Fender.. I had to order from Germany to get them from Banzai. It took quite a while I still haven't got my complete order but do have 25 of these.

The other style of retainer breaks off when retaining a tube, worthless. Also, I could not find Belton brand in the other style.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockinRocket

Re: Belton tube retainers

Post by RockinRocket »

I agree the slip on ones were terrible and slip off all the time making them worthless.
Didn't know these ones where hard to find as Ive never looked. Ill keep this info in mind thanks! :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That first image is the kind I have lots of that keep breaking off with use and even when first installed, junk.

I contacted CED then Belton because the CED and other USA distributors do not sell Belton retainers in this style they're all China crap.

Belton said to contact CED because they are USA distributor but you know my story there.

After much searching I found the type 2 Belton which are vary strong but I still can't find the Belton type 1 retainers as shown in image 1. Weird. You would think Belton would know their distributors and product line.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Belton type 2 EL34 tube retainer.jpg
Well I received som Type 2 Belton EL34 tube retainers from Germany.

Now I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree but what is the proper or best way to attach these retainers to the chassis, drill a hole?

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Those are kinda weird, the ones I've seen had hole type mounts so you screw them down with the socket. I'd guess you may be able to drill two small holes on either side of the sockets large enough for those clips to go through, yes....

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

On one amp I used solder ground lugs under each tube socket bolt and attached the retainer to those.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Here's an idea... Make some loop-d-loops with electric fence wire and a pair of round nose pliers. Took about 6" of wire and maybe a minute to make the five in this pic. I used 17 gauge gal. steel fence wire from Tractor Supply. Plenty strong. Has other uses around amp chassis too. I believe Lowes, Ace, and Home Depot also sell it. Quarter mile cost about $15.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Tony yes like those solder tabs.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

sluckey wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 pm Here's an idea... Make some loop-d-loops with electric fence wire and a pair of round nose pliers. Took about 6" of wire and maybe a minute to make the five in this pic. I used 17 gauge gal. steel fence wire from Tractor Supply. Plenty strong. Has other uses around amp chassis too. I believe Lowes, Ace, and Home Depot also sell it. Quarter mile cost about $15.
Steve that would work really nice and look good doing it.