6V6 power tube grid stoppers

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

iknowjohnny

6V6 power tube grid stoppers

Post by iknowjohnny »

I have the 5.6k grid stoppers on the turret board with about 3-4" of wire connecting them to the tube pin. How important if at all is it to remove the resistors from the board and put them directly on the tube pin? Is it the same as with the guitar input where you want the resistor right on the tube for noise reasons or does it matter here? Also while i'm at it, the screen resistors are the same way, on the turret board. How important would it be to move those to the socket, and i can use pin 6 as the power side for them correct?
martin manning

Re: 6V6 power tube grid stoppers

Post by martin manning »

In both cases (g1 and g2), these resistors will be most effective at damping oscillations if they soldered directly to the socket pins. But, if you are not having stability issues, then there is no reason to move them.
iknowjohnny

Post by iknowjohnny »

So even tho there will be the same length of conductor from the source point to the destination, just having the resistor to the other side makes the difference? So I assume any oscillation will still be present in the wire lead but the resistor stops it before the grid? I'm thinking i may as well go ahead with it just to make the amp less likely to oscillate because small degrees may not be obvious but harm tone to a small degree. I can use pin 6 as a "standoff" for the screen resistors w/o any possible weirdness correct?
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Most guys like to put heat shrink over the grid stopper on the pins in case it blows and shorts on the chassis.

I like them on the board if the amp doesn't oscillate. Seems more safe.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Yes, pin 6 is not used... Look at the datasheet. Might as well build it that way from the beginning so you don't have to change it later. That's the theory anyway... Like Martin said though, if you are not having any problems with it the way it is then there is no need to change it.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo