Blackface Fender Showman....Sucks with Pedals

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaysg

Re: Blackface Fender Showman....Sucks with Pedals

Post by jaysg »

I think it's vital to take the perspective that pedals are designed around specific amps. I don't like TS pedals unless they're flatter in the mids. That you like a ZD is good. I agree with Fender BF amps. I wouldn't recommend it for a guy with a 2203...right? Keep the ZD, look at a Rat and Barber pedals like a DDSS.
Turbojunkie

Re: Blackface Fender Showman....Sucks with Pedals

Post by Turbojunkie »

Unless the amp has some sort sentimental significance and value, I would strongly agree with the other replies to sell it in stock configuration and build a different amp... a more pedal-friendly platform that is closer to the sound you're ultimately shooting for....less frustration and often less expensive in the long run.

That said, if the problem is a too scooped midrange, you could try some higher value midrange resistors in place of the 6.8k in the Normal channel or 10k pot in the Vib channel. I'm not positive, but I think that with the Dual Showman circuit not having reverb, you might have the ability to jump the channels...if so, maybe make one channel midrange heavy and blend them in some situations? Leave one of the channels stock for the great clean tone?