Silkscreen vs faceplates

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

amplifiednation

Silkscreen vs faceplates

Post by amplifiednation »

I'm spending more money on faceplates than on chassis...so I'm gonna start powder coating and screening. Funny how it's actually cheaper.

Thoughts?

I love the flexibility of the plates, the customization, the colors...but they just don't look or feel as high quality as a nice powdercoated box.

What advantages and disadvantages have you encountered?
Last edited by amplifiednation on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Colossal

Re: Silkscreen vs faceplates

Post by Colossal »

I agree. Engraved (milled or laser) faceplates are great but the materials can often lack durability. I will no longer do any plastic/engraved types. They are just not up to the task. Laser engraved metal stock is good but easily scratched.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Powder coating and silk screening is the way to go for production amps.

Plus you can use stock short thread pots found any where.
amplifiednation

M Fowler wrote:Powder coating and silk screening is the way to go for production amps.

Plus you can use stock short thread pots found any where.
I'm mainly disappointed that special features won't be as easily added to the face (no label), my thought is just to put those features on footswitch.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
amplifiednation

Colossal wrote:I agree. Engraved (milled or laser) faceplates are great but the materials can often lack durability. I will no longer do any plastic/engraved types. They are just not up to the task. Laser engraved metal stock is good but easily scratched.
Exactly my experience.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
mrn1ngstr

Post by mrn1ngstr »

Plus powder coat looks pretty sweet
Hail to the king baby - Ashley "Ash" Williams
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

a pertinent thread Talyor as I'm about to receive one of your chassis and will need plates.

what do you recommend? I presume you're going to send me a PDF so I can send to a manufacturer.

I have had good results on my two Dumble builds of having a vinyl sheet printed and then stuck on the aluminium chassis. It's cheap if you're making a few amps as you get a whole sheet of about 6 plates done on one sheet for about £35.

I have 4 left but they're of no use to me due to the unusual hole spacing I did on my builds with only one input and no jazz rock.

If I were making commercially I'd screen print :D

M
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

I cut, fold, punch, surface treat, paint and silkscreen my own chassis and panels for over 45 years now.
Recovered every cent I invested and then some but the main point is *independence*.
Just as I write this I have 20 front and back panels being surface degreased and etched , will wash, prime and paint them tomorrow and paint them by the afternoon, probably silkscreening them on Saturday morning.
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
xtian

Post by xtian »

JMFahey wrote:I cut, fold, punch, surface treat, paint and silkscreen my own chassis and panels for over 45 years now.
Recovered every cent I invested and then some but the main point is *independence*.
Just as I write this I have 20 front and back panels being surface degreased and etched , will wash, prime and paint them tomorrow and paint them by the afternoon, probably silkscreening them on Saturday morning.
Can I come work in your shop?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

What kind of setup do you guys have for the screening of amps? What kind of durable ink/media do you use? I had a jig made for me at one point for pedals but it just didn't cut it or I just couldn't get it right. Probably I was doing something wrong.....the negative or something....

I also tried etching which was very cool results but extremely labor intensive.

I've also considered a laser setup but can't find anything affordable for the hobbyist yet that can really go deep enough.

I agree that the faceplate/lettering can be the most expensive and technically challenging part of a completed amp. Quite ironic considering the art that goes into the rest of it!
---------
Bryan
amplifiednation

I got a couple projects going. Looks like the paint and screen is less than half what I'm paying for faceplates, even after masking a ton of PEM hardware I'm having installed. The only downside is having to invest in a bunch of chassis at a time - and adding custom features might be tough. So I kept some chassis that I won't have screened in case I get a real custom order. Time to crank out some amps.

Technically it is tough though - lots of specs to lay out. Plus $175 set up for the screens.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
rp

Post by rp »

Colossal wrote:I agree. Engraved (milled or laser) faceplates are great but the materials can often lack durability. I will no longer do any plastic/engraved types. They are just not up to the task. Laser engraved metal stock is good but easily scratched.
What fails? Does the laser engraving wear through, do they crack easily? If I do metal guess a clear coat is needed?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

rp wrote:
What fails? Does the laser engraving wear through, do they crack easily? If I do metal guess a clear coat is needed?
I have found that plastics used for laser entraving can be very soft. They swirl easily with repeated cleaning and are very prone to scratching. Also, they will flow and warp away from a heat source, such as when used for rear panels near particularly hot running tubes like EL84s. That does not lend to great longevity. Laser engraving on metal such as Alumimark is durable but the material can scratch just as easily. With enough abuse, anything can be damaged, but given the rigors that an amp has to face in a lifetime and the greatly increased cost of milling or laser engraving metal and plastics, silkscreen over powdercoat or anodizing is worth the effort...if you are going to be making more than one. For one offs, I'd stick with laser marking on Alumimark or milling. I've found rear (laser) engraved clear-on-gold for instance to hold up pretty well for Plexis.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I mostly use FrontPanelExpress engraved anodized aluminum but it isn't cheap.

I asked them if I could safely clear coat the panel before use but never got a reply. I needs the clear coat to keep it looking nice.
rp

Post by rp »

I thought these laser etched types would be like the old Hiwatts, guess not. This was a helpful post. If I can ever teach myself f'!ng Inkscape I will order rear etched from Tube Town in Germany. Otherwise there's a nice old trophy shop in town, but he has a nice new 3D printer right in the window. Bet they all use laser thingamajigs now too. Damn computers!