Mojotone Studio One

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Mojotone Studio One

Post by M Fowler »

Your welcome and if you have any questions let us know.

Post in this thread or start your own post (thread) regarding your build and link it in this thread so it can be found easier for years to come! :)

I'm looking forward to your comments during your build.

Mark
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Looks very nice.
Most of the mojo is in the cabinet though :)
Niki
k9taxi

Post by k9taxi »

I will open my own thread on my build.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

k9taxi wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:02 pm I will open my own thread on my build.
I looking forward to seeing your post and build photos.

Mark
justjoe

Post by justjoe »

Hello Everybody,

Thank you, Mr Fowler, very much for sharing your knowledge with us. My family got me a Studio One kit for my birthday and I am just getting started on it. This is first amp build and before I found your post I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to complete the build myself. Your pictures and comments offer the perfect amount of implementation detail beyond what is available in the schematic and wiring diagrams that come with the kit. Much appreciated, kind Sir.

I've reached the point of considering my grounding technique. I really like the ground bar that you've run behind your front panel pots. It is difficult to see where you've landed that bus to the chassis. It appears that it may be the disappearing green wire that drops down from the bus bar ~ between the CLEAN/TONE pot and the LEAD/GAIN pot. Can you please confirm?

And again... thank you for all of this. Greatly appreciated.

Joe
justjoe

Post by justjoe »

Here is my board so far after a few hours of work over the weekend.
Studio One Board.jpg
It looks like they've made some changes to the boards since Mark's build. The two biggest things I noticed are that the turrets appear to be spaced out a bit further and the board fit comfortably behind the input jack without a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think they sent me one that was not really a production version since the chassis and board were different on mine.

Your board looks good.

Mark

Chuck the buss wire in a drill and twist until wire is straight. Then I put one end of the buss wire in the volume pot ground terminal #1 and other end in Master Volume ground terminal #1. Looking at back of pots pin # 1 on left #2 center (wiper) #3 right. Solder them both and then I solder ground wire to buss wire near input jack and then ground wire is soldered to a solder terminal bolted to the floor of the chassis under input jack or near it.
IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0943.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I once tried to get Mojotone to have me film a video of one of their kit builds for them, for free, for the amp, but no dice :D (they never even responded to the email)

Looks like a fun project!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
justjoe

Post by justjoe »

I see that you connected the grounds of the two channels together at the turret board. Is there technical reason you did this vs running each channel independently to the ground bar similar to the wiring diagram? Personal choice? Or technical explanation?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Preference mostly I like to ground all preamp grounds to one spot in this case to the solder lug near the input jack via the buss wire.

If this was a push/pull amp I would connect the preamp grounds and it's filter cap grounds to ground tab near input jack.

Phase inverter ground with the remaining filter cap grounds. Which are also connected with the transformer center tap grounds.

I also like to isolate input jack from chassis or use Cliff jacks which are already isolated from the chassis.

Mark
justjoe

Post by justjoe »

Finished... and this thing sounds great! I soldered the footswitch input jack on the wrong side of the PCB but fortunately it is a very simple board and still works/fits as is so I left it alone. Thank you for your pictures and your comments.
Studio One - Joe.jpg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Congratulation on the build, it looks good, and glad your enjoying your new amp.

Mark