New Harlow build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sepulchre

New Harlow build

Post by sepulchre »

Hello,
Haven't been around for awhile. Just wanted to share this, the first thing I've built in a couple of years. It's my design called "Harlow". It uses a 12AX7 and two NOS Russian 6BM8 tubes for the PP power and PI. There's an RCA 6X4 for the rectifier. I really love how this amp sounds. It's loud enough to ring your ear and alert the neighbors when cranked but can have a sweet clean or overdriven tone at lower volumes too. Not in the pictures there's a "Scoop" control on the back for tonal contour. Built this one for my nephew in AZ.

20170124_225140.jpg
2-10-17--2.jpg
2-10-17--1.jpg
Harlow Cab 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drew

Re: New Harlow build

Post by drew »

Nice! What does the Platinum/Blonde switch do?
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Nice looking! I also recently got some old Russian 6BM8 variant tubes for a Univox U45B I had for a little while. They have the winged C on them. Interesting dual purpose tube...and available for not too much dough. It was a nice sounding amp.
---------
Bryan
arjepsen

Post by arjepsen »

Love the cabinet!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

drew wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:42 am Nice! What does the Platinum/Blonde switch do?
looks to me like a bright switch. Kinda hard to see in the pics but there's a ceramic cap on a switch to the volume pot.

Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice build... I gotta build a small one for the bench.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Sorry I've been away so long. Yes, Platinum/Blonde is a bright switch. It works as long as the Drive is not maxed, and good catch on the ceramic cap going to it. This amp sounds Great! I've already built two more. I'm using poplar for the cabs. It's kinda soft but is very easy to work and looks really nice IMHO. I'll post pics when I can. Gotta get to work now.

@ sonicmojo: This project stared as a rebuild of the Univox U45B. It was my first amp - got it new so that should tell you how long ago. But I kept fiddling with it and finally said to heck with it, I'm making my own design. :D