Favourite NOS tubes?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Favourite NOS tubes?

Post by Bombacaototal »

John Mayer posted a pic of several of his guitar tubes and I thought of using this to kick of some discussions on your favourite tubes

His pic includes new production Tung Sol reissue and Ruby Tubes which I assume are 12AX7 AC7 HG+ (and not AC5 or ACZ). Anyone agree? I also saw an electroharmonix 12AU7

Some NOS I could spot are: RCA, Telefunken, Raytheon, Mullards, Sylvania, Philco

I spent some time reading the sticky about NOS tubes on this part of the forum which is very useful

I found a 12AX7 RCA long black plate (17mm) square getter selling (not cheap) and I am tempted to buy but concerned regarding potential of it being microphonic, given I heard a lot of them go microphonic and the seller is selling "as is". Readings are IA .85 GM 1.4, IA .75 GM 1.3. Suggestions?

I am also looking to get one of the Mullards 12ax7 halo getter. White or Yellow print?

Has anyone tried Mazda?

I have NOS: JAN Raytheon grey playes ring getter, Philips ECG 12AT7WC, GE 12AX7A grey plate
My new production are: Shuguang 9th gen, Tung-Sol reissue

The amp I had them on was a Blackface but it is going through major changes now. I will report back on winning tubes afterwards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Re: Favourite NOS tubes?

Post by Bombacaototal »

For future reference on Ruby Tubes some info I found online
HG = high grade (low noise & microphonics) for use in all stages of mid and low gain amps and all but the first stage in high gain amps.

HG+ = high grade plus (extremely low noise & microphonics) for use in the first stage in high gain amps.

12AX7AC5: 5th generation Chinese. The "standard" Chinese 12AX7 that almost every tube supplier sells. Short plates with a division shield between them. Tone: strong highs and mids with a slightly subdued bass character that can make some amps feel tighter...it depends on the amp and the player's touch. A great tube for a high gain amp or a lower gain amp that needs a little more bite.

12AX7AC7: 7th generation Chinese. An attempt to make a more NOS style tube. Longer plates than the AC5 but not nearly as long as a Sovtek LPS. No division shield between the plates. Tone: strong highs and fuller mids than an AC5 with a full, round bass character...a bit fuller than a TungSol reissue. Not so great in the first stage of a high gain amp but it does work well in later stages for a little more warmth. Sounds great in old Fenders but terrible in Rivera era Fenders.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Bombacaototal wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:58 pm I found a 12AX7 RCA long black plate (17mm) square getter selling (not cheap) and I am tempted to buy but concerned regarding potential of it being microphonic, given I heard a lot of them go microphonic and the seller is selling "as is". Readings are IA .85 GM 1.4, IA .75 GM 1.3. Suggestions?
Any views on the readings? Standard Test Results are: IA 1.2 GM 1.6 ( BOTH SECTIONS)

On another note I bought the Mullard I61 :-)
tony hunt

Post by tony hunt »

Cannot help with the test numbers. It is all mumbo jumbo to me.

Mazda? I have amassed an unhealthy amount of NOS Mazda pre amp tubes. True French Mazda preamp tubes were mostly green boxed. I have some with silver metalwork inside.
But most of mine are blue boxed, looking and sounding to me like RFTs. I grew up on Burman amps and the heads were loaded with seven of them. So they have been my default tube for most of my playing life.

For me there is not one NOS favourite because I don't believe in consistency within the brands now. What is left is so diluted. Maybe if you had NOS tubes with matching production codes there may be a similar performance. But I personally am not chasing that train anyway.

I try to think of what exactly I want, then roll them until one pops out as being beyond the rest. It really depends on what you are looking for and the circuit.

You ought to try real Mazda output tubes. I have an old '59 5E3 and tried all manner of old 6V6 in there, but it I prefer it with Mazda militaire in the gun room.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

tony hunt wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 pm Cannot help with the test numbers. It is all mumbo jumbo to me.

Mazda? I have amassed an unhealthy amount of NOS Mazda pre amp tubes. True French Mazda preamp tubes were mostly green boxed. I have some with silver metalwork inside.
But most of mine are blue boxed, looking and sounding to me like RFTs. I grew up on Burman amps and the heads were loaded with seven of them. So they have been my default tube for most of my playing life.

For me there is not one NOS favourite because I don't believe in consistency within the brands now. What is left is so diluted. Maybe if you had NOS tubes with matching production codes there may be a similar performance. But I personally am not chasing that train anyway.

I try to think of what exactly I want, then roll them until one pops out as being beyond the rest. It really depends on what you are looking for and the circuit.

You ought to try real Mazda output tubes. I have an old '59 5E3 and tried all manner of old 6V6 in there, but it I prefer it with Mazda militaire in the gun room.
I heard the gold pins mazda are great. Do you have any other recommendations?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Last edited by Bombacaototal on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I just picked up 8 new 6BM8's for my 2 Univox U45B amps and I am thinking about doing a build with a output stage of 4 of them for about 18 watts of clean power.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Got a NOS Silvana black plate square getter...cannot wait to receive it

Got a Ruby 12ax7ac5 hg+ as well and a Sovtek 12ax7 lps

And a nos beijin square getter from the 80's

Weird to see dome ecc88 tubes on JM box..Never seen an amp with those